Road Building - if there's nothing to build...

There's probably a perfectly reasonable explanation, but it does look a little strange...

On the corner of Melbourne Grove and East Dulwich Grove there seems to be a quite recent raised crossover (those raised, red brick sections), that is being broken up. I was wondering why?

But as mentioned, there could be a very valid explanation for this.

Let's hope there is a good reason as these raised crossover cost around ?30,000 each.

Just looking at the piles of new materials, it could be that they are going to make the roadway (EDG) narrower there in attempt to slow the traffic at the junction with Melbourne Grove. This is what they did 75 metres away at the junction with Gelngarry Road. They widened both pavements where the bus stop is, making it much more difficult for cars to squeeze past the bus whilst it is at the stop. The logic might be that the public transport service gets priority so that journeys by private cars etc will rarely be quicker than by bus.

Even money they will do something similar further along at Hillsborough Road.

But it had just been done. Check out the pictures, it looks pratically brand new.

As mentioned on that consultation web page:

"A large amount of correspondence was received from local residents and stakeholders relating to traffic speed and the need for improved pedestrian crossing facilities in the area."

I'd be quite interested to know the details of this correspondence. I can't really see any of my neigbours having suddenly taken issue with traffic speeds and woken from their community action malaise...

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea, but it seems wasteful to install a raised carriage way, then demolish the whole thing months later to do the same thing again with a few modifications.

Who pays for this...

LD929 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> there was a consultation on all of these building

> works on east dulwich grove:

>

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200431/street_imp

> rovements/3180/east_dulwich_grove

How many letters where sent out,

what area address,s and what was the result for or against spending this additional money

Was this a community Council decision

Cllr Barber please provide

Seconded. My cab "driver" pulled out, causing another driver to plough into the back of a stationary car on LL about two months ago. The police came, so all was sorted on the morning, but it could have been worse. More double yellows on LL adjacent to both sides of Goodrich are needed!

Is this not part of the general road improvements planned along that stretch of road which is meant to be for cycle safety or something? If it is there was quite extensive and very pointless consultation on it some time ago. Still cant imagine how it is supposed to be an improvement or safer...

Yeah - pitched to the local cycling community as an experiment in "going dutch" and then clearly demonstrated thst Southwark Road engineers do not know how to build better roard for cyclists - but as there was budget itsbeen used to improve matters for pedestrians - some gains there

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Is this not part of the general road improvements

> planned along that stretch of road which is meant

> to be for cycle safety or something?

The turning in to Glengarry road with the new improved road surface is worse! The bodge job at tarmacing at the raised section is likely to cause a bike to dismount turning in to Glengarry road. Its really not the immaculate job you would expect on a road surface.

KalamityKel Wrote:

> Is this not part of the general road improvements

> planned along that stretch of road which is meant

> to be for cycle safety or something?

Quite a few roads have been narrowed in the name of cycle safety.

As a cyclist, I'm less than convinced. My experience is that drivers go faster along the wider sections to make up for the slower parts... and if there's a cyclist already approaching or in the narrowed bit, well, that just gets them some extra points for a close shave. Or at least that's how it feels in Railton Road (admittedly Herne Hill/Brixton rather than ED)

Yeah - build outs (e.g. for pedestrian crossings) and sharp narrowing make cyclists vulnerable as they (we!!) pull out and risk a collision.

Gentle narrowing better.

Narrow two way trafic gutters parrallel best as it slows traffic.

No more one way streets or gyratories

Poor road surfacing? No change there then - the new Blanchedown Crossing was unfinished and dangerous for weeks!

> Quite a few roads have been narrowed in the name

> of cycle safety.

>

> As a cyclist, I'm less than convinced. My

> experience is that drivers go faster along the

> wider sections to make up for the slower parts...

> and if there's a cyclist already approaching or in

> the narrowed bit, well, that just gets them some

> extra points for a close shave. Or at least

> that's how it feels in Railton Road (admittedly

> Herne Hill/Brixton rather than ED)

I recevied an email about this. I hadnt realised a thread had also been started.

These works of removing this entry treatment and the other one opposite are becsuse they're being repalced with a whole junction raised treatment. This is part of the East Dulwich Grove 20mph and crash reduction plans.

Sadly I culdnt getthe council to implement cycle lanes but this shoudl be a definite improvement and reduce crashes at this junction.

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. A couple of questions:

- How long had the existing entry treatment been in situ? As you can see from the first photo, it was in excellent condition (looked practically new).

- How much (ball park figure) do these things cost to implement?

- What was the intended lifespan when initially installed?

- How do we assess value for money when considering these building works?