I have heard that there is to be a demonstration outside East Dulwich Hospital on Saturday 28 June.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "Whaddya got?"

>

> (Marlon Brando in The Wild One and not James Dean (surprisingly) in Rebel without a Cause in answer

> to the question - what are you rebelling against?)

"Down with this sort of thing"

"Careful now"

Tigres Pride Wrote:

> ......to show how much it means to us.

Who is this aimed at, ie who is the target audience? From what I've read it looks as though Dr Sarma simply didn't want the effort involved in setting up a new partnership that would have allowed the practice to continue. Or have I misunderstood the issue?

According to NHS Choices, Dr Sarma has 2180 patients on his books, one of the lowest in SE22. Considering Melbourne Grove is within a short distance of Dulwich Hospital, most who want to continue receiving GP services in the same area will simply transfer across, despite the problems they've had in recent months.

It's a shame when a practice closes as I went through the same process last summer, yet the patient capacity is there.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> According to NHS Choices, Dr Sarma has 2180

> patients on his books, one of the lowest in SE22.

> Considering Melbourne Grove is within a short

> distance of Dulwich Hospital, most who want to

> continue receiving GP services in the same area

> will simply transfer across, despite the problems

> they've had in recent months.

>

> It's a shame when a practice closes as I went

> through the same process last summer, yet the

> patient capacity is there.

Catchment areas still apply to the other surgeries as does the whole registration malarky of filling out a form, dropping it in to the surgery, providing various forms of ridiculous ID, battling with the receptionist, booking in to see the nurse for the silly health check which covers everything you've filled in on the form (even if you've just had a check up at your old surgery)and then a docs appointment if needed - it should simply be a straight transfer with none of this rubbish... 2180 appointments now are being taken up unnecessarily.

The whole process is ridiculous.

After moving to a surgery you DON'T want to go to - how can anyone say there is a choice when many patients at Dr Sarma's surgery moved they because they had already tried the others?

What guarantee is there that a similar form of closure won't occur to the surgery you end up going to a little way down the line? If NHS England have done their research as they claim does this not open their eyes to other surgeries they may want to close/not continue to run?

This particular surgery was to be included, along with MGMC, with future plans for hospital site - if it was considered on this side of plans why suddenly deem it now as unimportant? How does one quick short study out do the other that has been going on for years?

The whole point of the "demonstration" I would have assumed was to highlight a whole number of issues which we ALL should be concerned about. So those thinking oh it doesn't concern me... really? Doesn't it?

The demonstration is open to all. Come along if you care about your area.

lameduck Wrote:

> >

> local dulwich doctor without a surgery

> can we have her

You wouldn't want Doctor Leonard. She is rarely there, loves publicity More than spending time with patients, is more about herself than listening to them. Believe me, this woman is not for caring. She is the Doctor of an elderly relative and it is like getting an audience with the Queen.

When Dr Sarma first moved into his Surgery in East Dulwich Hospital from Maxted Road it was on the understanding that he would eventually be moved into the "New Super Dooper Primary Care Unit to be built on the site of the knocked down half of East Dulwich Hospital". If indeed his surgery is closed down, who will be the new PCU be given to? That's if indeed they ever get round to building it. It's been over ten years now and they haven't yet broken ground on the site.

Mustard Wrote:

> From the article - 'The nearest other surgery was

> being moved into Dulwich Hospital'....I heard that

> eventually Melbourne Grove was supposed to move

> there.

That wouldn't surprise me, along with the fact they have more registered patients than Dr Sarma.

I'm sure there are other reasons which haven't been publicised to why Dr Sarma couldn't get a junior partner to take over the practice when he retired.

I read a report yesterday (sorry I don't have the link right now) where it claimed that it's now harder to get a younger GP to take over a surgery due to stress with older GP's retiring earlier because of the workload which doesn't just include seeing patients, but the overall practice.

Independent surgeries are also competing with private sector practices such as Melbourne Grove (managed by Concordia Health) and DMC for patients.