The people who work at Grace & Favour are fab

and it is by far one of my preferred shops in ED. Friendly, courteous and helpful, particularly the bloke.

I don't know what the locked and empty thread was about but it seems to be intimating a problem and I thought I'd redress the balance.

I'm glad this message has been posted as I too, saw the other locked thread and was sad to think it might damage G&F's reputation. I've always thought the staff there have been great - I went in just after my baby was born to choose an outfit for a wedding and the owner was lovely - really taking the time to help and clucking gratifyingly over the baby (this must be the hardest part of being a shopkeeper in ED, having to be endlessly pleasant to a constant stream of baldie babies and snotty-nosed kids). Been in there many times since and always found them friendly. It's my nick-nack shop of choice!

It wasn't the negativity that stood out for me - in itself being negative doesn't make one wrong but the "Lambast me if you will, but I am entitled to my opinion"

I'm not lambasting you spangles - I just wonder why you feel the need to put that in there - it seems overly defensive (and yet aware)

I have no doubt that the people are 'friendly'. I would be 'friendly' if I was charging those prices and people were paying them.

'it seems typically negative'? Ok sorry. I realise one has to be overly sycophantic and obsequious here. thanks for reminding me 'Mark' and 'Sean' (why am I not surprised you popped up'? LOL.

Ok, back to G&F - I too have found the staff in there very pleasant, friendly and helpful. I don't go in there too often but when I do I'm never disappointed. There are number of other shops in ED who would benefit from learning a thing or two from G&F's.

I agree that the bloke who works in there is great. It is very expensive though. I usually buy a card or two and that is it. It is really full of stuff no one really needs, especially not during a recession. I liked it when they served food, many moons ago.

I know Rosie quite well, so I am biased, but I think she is a lovely lady, and very nice to people. I don't exactly shop in these types of places, but I went in there to buy a birthday gift for a female friend, and she really helped (me being a tad rubbish at this type of thing).

With regards the prices, I wouldn't pay a fiver for a bar of soap, but I wouldn't moan about it either, if there are people who will, then good for them, and good for the shop for supplying it, and making a profit. Besides, what is business about? Know your customers and give them what they want. They are obviously doing that, because they are still open.

I went to Rye for a weekend last year, and walked in to a similar style of shop, and they had soap for A LOT more than that, so it's not exclusive to Dulwich!

Think Rose is pretty savvy and when people really cannot afford things in her shop she'll cut her cloth accordingly. She's only doing what most independent shops do, catering for an existing market: supply and demand. It's not her job to be a charity.

She was the second decent place to open on Northcross Road, way back in the 90's -I was her first customer- and has helped to make ED a more interesting place. Many of the other nick nack shops merely followed in her wake. Of all of them she has, in my view, been the most original because she was the first.

Just pray that the credit crunch doesn't wipe people like her out, because any vaccuum is bound to be filled by the outfits that can afford it, the chains. I don't want to live on another homogenised high street, or one filled with pound stores.

Finally, though I'm sure she can take it, it must be tough to read such unfettered criticism over what sounded like quite a small incident.