nunhead village vs east dulwich

I rather concur with Nunhead Village. It has a parade of village shops around a green, and there is definitely a village feel to it, heightened by Evelina Road being so quiet and there being no major through routes through it. I love Nunhead.

Not everyone is obsessed with restaurants or gastropubs. What is this middle class obsession all about? Is that what makes an area? And what makes a pub "nice" Jeremy? I've been in the one supposedly "nice" pub in Nunhead which to me and others is overpriced and devoid of atmosphere and personality these days. When I was younger Nunhead was a nice quiet neighborhood where everyone knew each other and was always distinct from busier Peckham nearby with its own unique parade of shops which has remained pretty much intact. But that's all. It's not a village, unless somehow it's no longer an urban suburb and has miraculously been transferred back to rural surrey/kent without my knowledge.

Louisa.

Evelina road is quiet? Apart from buses, lorries and constant through traffic?

Nunhead now has a better deli, fishmonger and baker than ED. And nicer shop signs. Unfortunately we now have 2 estate agents, so it wont last long.

Jeremy's right: shame the restaurants never survive (Costa Smeralda was lovely, but always empty). Food at Old Nuns Head excellent now, but not the same thing.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've been in the one

> supposedly "nice" pub in Nunhead

xxxxxx

Which one's that?

I love both The Ivy House and The Old Nun's Head, and The Ivy House is getting better and better - check out the fantastic new stage curtains :)

I don't think wanting to go out for the occasional meal is an obsession, Louisa. It's quite normal, I think.

Nice - it's a subjective thing, but for me I guess I mean decorated some time in the last 20 years, cleaned occasionally, has a beer selection which extends beyond Fosters and Guinness, welcoming bar staff, etc. I'm sure plenty of (OK, a few) people like the Man Of Kent and The Pyrotechnists, and I'd happily have a drink there myself, but they don't really tick the boxes for me I'm afraid.

Any talk of who has the best bakery is a moot point when the best cakes and pastries for miles around are found at Southerden in Peckham...

ken78 Wrote:

> is nunhead village getting better than east

> dulwich, looks like it getting better every week

Still don't have their own forum though.

Besides, having lived in villages for a significant percentage of my life I can honestly say that neither Nunhead or any of other Estate Agents "villages" are remotely like the real thing.

The survival of Nunhead?s Land-that-Time-forgot pubs adds to its appeal for me. I?m sure few people would describe The Man of Kent, The Pyrotechnists Arms or The Golden Anchor as ?nice? - and that?s no bad thing as they?re great places if it?s boozer as opposed to gastropub that you?re after.

As for restaurants, admittedly there are few - though the Peckham Bazaar will be back very soon, as Jeremy says, and the Old Nun?s Head now has three different pop-ups throughout the week so there?s definitely more choice than there was when I first moved here seven years ago.

There have been rumours about the former Page 2/Costa Smerelda reopening as something new but I?ve not heard anything more on that for a while.

As for the ?Nunhead Village? name, it?s estate agent puff, of course, and I?m not sure the streets around Nunhead Green will ever be ?better? than East Dulwich, if by that you mean number and variety of shops. It?s a different place and thankfully has its own identity - and I certainly hope that remains to be the case.

That's very interesting about the fireworks.

I'd always assumed that The Pyrotechnists Arms was referencing some local connection with the Gunpowder Plot.

I think 'Nun-head - Gateway to the East' has quite a ring to it - though clearly it doesn't pack the punch of 'Bal-ham - Gateway to the South'.

Seabag Wrote:

> Get over it and be pleased you don't live in Hull

> or Bognor or Rustington. Actually, I imagine

> there's somebody in Rustington is dissing Ferring

> right now, as we speak

>

> Keep it real folks

I was born in Rustington and lived in Bognor - nothing wrong with either (can't speak for Hull).... If anyone from Rustington was dissing anywhere it would be Durrington, not Ferring!