charity event in LL sunday 22nd june

i had a sunbed today @ village way, and was happy to see that they are having a charity in aid of macmillan cancer support group, i was so chuffed to that, i had a close experience with them a few years ago, and they were a great bunch of people, so thought i'd let everyone know!! , its on sunday 22 nd june, and all the money goes direct to the charity, i think its nice to see people giving up their time for things like this, i think we should try to support them , after all, we never know if we will need their help one day!!

pretty polly, your post has left me with really conflicted feelings I have to say.

I whole-heartedly agree that Macmillan is an amazing organisation that undoubtably deserves support, but there is something quite bizarre, to my mind, in a tanning salon supporting a cancer charity, given that there is good evidence that sunbeds significantly increase cancer risk...

Sorry if this sounds really harsh, but they could do a lot more to reduce the suffering caused by cancer by not encouraging people to increase their risk for the sake of "beauty" and I just couldn't ignore that painful irony.

Ditto what anaj says but Village Way is not a tanning salon it is a hairdressers that has tanning in the back. Sunbeds are incredibly damanging and dangerous BUT that should not reflect on their charity event for a worthwhile cause.

well, just to reply all, i have had to use a sunbed on the odd occasions in the summer, as i am going away, and unfortunately i suffer with very bad prickly heat in the sun and hot climates!, so a couple of sessions helps me not suffer so bad!!! and really it wasn't the issue i was writing about!! i was just commenting on the fact that i thought it was a nice gesture to see that people where happy to give up their time in aid of the charity!! ( not specifically this one , but any charity). i understand the sunbed issue, but considering my sister died of cancer, i am fully aware of the irony in that i stated i used the sunbed! never mind though ...... it has moved away from the point i tried to make when starting the thread

pretty polly, it was clear from your first post that you had family experience of cancer (as do I as it happens) and because of that I almost didn't post. I'm really sorry for your loss and I really didn't mean to be insensitive or make you feel judged for using sunbeds.

Using sunbeds, like any lifestyle risk factors for disease, is a personal choice. I just feel very strongly that people should be aware of risks and therefore be able to make informed decisions.

I agree that it's commendable to see a local business doing something for charity, particularly such a great charity, and I hope they make lots of money on the day, but I stand my what I said earlier.

thanks annaj, i think and like to hope that people do know what risks are involved!! and if they are not bothered, then they only have themselves to blame!!!...... never the less, nice to see well and able people making the effort to raise money, and they are actually a hairdressers not a tanning salon, and i do hope that local people will support them, from what i have seen so far in ED, people are genuinely wanting to keep the spirit of niceness going, which is why i love it here so much. PP

pretty polly Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> p.s i hope you have a good outcome regarding the

> illness xxx

Thank you.

Thankfully we already have. I'm sorry your family weren't so lucky.

from what i gather, the staff are doing a no appointment system, so you just go and get your hair cut, and donate ?15 towards the charity, but i thought it was also nice that they are doing a raffle, and apparently lots of good prizes from restaurants and shops and some famous bods?? not sure who? but the girl said they are the local dudes, hope that helps!

ps nice that someone asked what was happening rather than just being concerned about ME using a sunbed!!