Starbucks at Sainsburys

Slim

Hi,

Can anyone remember, or find out, preferably to the month, when Sainsburys at Dog Kennel Hill grew a Starbucks? I'm trying to piece together a kind of timeline of my 7 years in East Dulwich.

Thanks!

Regards from Derby

James

Yes, I think it was sometime in 1999 or 2000. Thanks for the replies!

As for prolonging pain, I used to find it really pleasant to spend 15 minutes there with a coffee and an almond croissant! But I always enjoyed supermarket shopping anyway. Easier to say that if you live on your own, of course.

seanmlow Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The cafe baffles me. Why would you want to prolong

> your shopping pain any further?

It's not too bad actually - not packed out like the Sainsburys store itself.

bear Wrote:

> Is it just me or does anyone else think that ED

> Sainsbury's is hideously expensive (compared to

> Kennington Tesco, for example)?

All supermarkets are hideously expensive. Judicious shopping in Lordship Lane, other markets, Peckham Rye will invaraibly cost less for food items - or cost the same for superior quality. Supermarket packaging often means the customer buys more than is really needed as well - adding further to the cost.

Articlein one of the weekend paper's today about this.

Although I do shop local and get veg deliveries etc. I now get most of my storecupboard items from Ocado. I find I spend substantially less than I did when I used to do the weekly shop at Sainsbury's, poss partly due to less impulse purchasing but for whatever reason it is a good thing!

I seem to have the worst of all worlds...use DKH Sainsburys' for some items Ocado do not stock, use Ocado for most of the store cupboard stuff and a few fresh things, also use LL/NCR for meat, cheeses, fruit and veg, posh bread...But at least we spend little at restaurants or home deliveries these days (coffee shops are classed as vital refuelling stops, not as "eating out"!)

And, remaining on topic, there was indeed a Starbucks in DKH Sainsbury's for several years before the recent refurbihsments...It was smaller though

Bear, you're right. I said something similar a few weeks ago when I was evangelising about Waitrose: when I lived in a relatively low-income area of Hertfordshire a few years ago and came to see friends here I used to notice that ED Sainsburys was considerably more expensive than its own stores or any other supermarkets around Stevenage.

Personally I'm surprised Starbucks survives in PC East Dulwich; I imagined the anti-global/chain/bad coffee types avoiding it would undermine profits and move it on somewhere else, but clearly enough people like it to make it worth their while. Good news for Davina Shoes I guess.

It would be great to see Sainsburys use the space to nurture a local business instead, like Blackbird before they got their shop, but perhaps not realistic to ask them to sacrifice the rent they get from it.

bear Wrote:

> Is it just me or does anyone else think that ED

> Sainsbury's is hideously expensive (compared to

> Kennington Tesco, for example)?

Have a look at the document on the PTCMG Website, it is a cookbook and cost comparison of dishes made at the Flava's of Peckham Festival in 2006, and whilst it is now almost 2 years old, it does show an amazing difference in cost for ingredients when shopping locally vs. shopping in a Supermarket.

Flava's of Peckham Cookbook and Cost Comparison (904kb/PDF)

The space now occupied by rip off merchants Stabucks used to be Boots the chemist until 1998. So it's been a stabucks for a good 9 to 10 years now. I'd rather make a cup of goldblend at home than be stuck around a pretentious bunch of yummies drinking grande lattes for a fiver a mug!

Louisa.