Banging Noise - Lacon Road

For the past few nights we have been kept awake by a very loud, irregular banging noise. It sounds like someone hitting wood with incredible force, or sometimes like single, resonant explosions. They are so loud I heard them over the storm and through double glazing and they make the windows shake. They seem totally random, no rhythm to them at all.

I have leaned out the back of our house, towards Crystal Palace Road and can see other neighbours doing the same. They could be coming from gardens on Crystal Palace or Lacon Road, or even further as the noise reverberates around so much. It begins just before midnight and lasts until I can get to sleep through it and has woken me up every morning as early as 5am. This morning it has just finished.

Can anyone shed ANY light on what this is?

I heard the same thing last night. I would describe it as sounding like the amplified sound of two empty coconut shells being banged together. Two very loud bangs, a pause, then the same again. Never heard anything like it, and I couldn't figure out what it could be. It went on for at least an hour (or until I fell asleep) from about 1.30. My rear window looks over the rear gardens at the Peckham Rye end of Barry Road. Very strange. If it happens again tonight I will try to find the source.

Yep, that is where the noise is coming from. It looks like someone has opened up an all night bakery, and the sound is made (i'm guessing) when they hammer the base of the baking tins in order to remove the bread. I'm going to pop round tonight and suggest they may consider using rubber hammers or something similar before they upset too many of the local residents.

Well, our mystery has been solved. It was next door's rabbit. Making the noise of several grown men. He is on loan, so he goes home next week. Meanwhile, they very kindly brought him inside last night. A good night's sleep. Bliss.

Good luck with the bakery.