teenage son mugged at knifepoint Ondine Road 19/7/14

My 16 year old son was mugged at knifepoint by three boys, aged around 18, black, one with covered face scarfe on Ondine Road at about 11.10pm this evening. Police here in seconds and now looking for them. Bank card, oyster and money taken.

he is fine. Its the first experience I have had of that in this bit and we have lived here 18 years, but it is the man route from ed station and the bus stop. But the muggers were coming the other way, so a bit random. I don't think he can be the only victim tonight.

Looking back over past threads there seems to have been similar activity by a group of three with knife around Sainsbury's area in recent past

.http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1254511,1254813#msg-1254813

a reminder that if you have any incident like this - or you think you just missed being a victim in an incident like this- to call the police. They can build up a picture of the perps. There was another attempt- a near miss-on someone else yesterday within the same time range and within area, but not reported till this morning. Reporting straight away might get these buggers caught!!

Melonsmasher, they did straight away! I was impressed with the speed of police arrival. Two marked cars and an unmarked one, son went with them in unmarked car as they cased the cashpoints. My son came straight home after mugging- a 5 minute walk- and we did all phone calls from our house but I wonder if he should have rung a doorbell close to where it happened and asked for help- and got quicker result.

Police said an attempt was made on someone going into their house about five minutes before my son's incident but was not reported till next day. Hence importance of reporting at time! If police had been alerted then it would have probably prevented the second crime!

cctv on local schools were all angled onto their own properties unfortunately.

I was mugged at knifepoint around 9:45 tonight by three boys with a similar description, although cannot recall if a face was covered, perhaps the one with the knife did. It was on Nutbrook street after I was walking home from the gym so similar sort of area, worth being extra careful for anyone in the area. called police immediately and went out with them but nowhere to be seen!

That's really bad, sorry to hear about that jgray923, I'm really fed up reading about these little tw*%$s and worry that someone's gonna get hurt - they are using a knife ffs. Totally unacceptable and quite shocking really.

also a general call out to all those ''found a bank card, will cut it in half after three days if no one claims it'' threads. PLEASE hand them into banks- they could be cards discarded by muggers, with their prints, which could be used to support a successful prosecution!

I think they may have seen me before I got on the road, so it does all tie in with them hanging around this sort of area, it is hard to believe that it is not the same three people. Would just keep aware and not walk with your phone out, but at the end of the day, once you see a knife you just hand the stuff over as not worth the risk, it is only stuff and the last thing they want to do is hurt someone as then they are in a lot more trouble! I fought them off until the third arrived with the knife. They appeared to really want money, they didn't grasp that I had none as had just come from the gym, hopefully the police will pick them up soon.

Sorry to hear this, jgray923 and Huggers.

If it's a couple of kids you might be tempted to fight or run... but once you see a knife unfortunately you have no real choice but to hand your stuff over. Even if they're not intending to use it, adrenalin will be pumping through their body (and maybe other chemicals too) and they might do something stupid if they feel provoked. Money, bank cards, phones can be replaced.

Hanging around as he was there in 15 / 20 seconds, I think the first guy had been running to catch me up and the other two followed. He was quite a small guy who caught me at first, only big men when you threaten people with a knife!

Jeremy

"once you see a knife unfortunately you have no real choice but to hand your stuff over"

That could not be more true, people say why didn't you do this and that, but when a knife is being thrust at you it is very much just do what you need to do!

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> did they phone for the third? or was he

> waiting/hanging around. which direction do you

> think they came from- adys or rye lane end? how

> frightening!

I bet the Police know/suspect who they are, but the days

when you can just grab them from home or youth club are gone.

They might stash the knife somewhere.

jgray923 Wrote:

> Jeremy

>

> "once you see a knife unfortunately you have no

> real choice but to hand your stuff over"

>

> That could not be more true, people say why didn't

> you do this and that, but when a knife is being

> thrust at you it is very much just do what you

> need to do!

xxxxxxx

Absolutely.

Many years ago my sister was mugged in Kennington in broad daylight.

She hung onto her bag and was slashed across the hand with a knife (and then let the bag go).

Bad enought, but she was lucky it wasn't very much worse.

But the trouble is, in a situation like that you act from instinct and instinct may not lead you to do the safest thing :(

I can't remember whether she was aware that the guy had a knife, though :(

Description in original post. One was of smaller stature.

Also if you see it happening it might not seem obvious, may look like three boys greeting one other as victim tend to be quiet in response and just hand stuff over.

Ladysaw Wrote:

> This is terrifying. I think having a little can of

> pepper spray in your hand when walking home late

> at night is handy.

and also illegal I'm afraid.