Sadness at changing atmosphere of East Dulwich

It seems that the lovely neighbourhood feeling in East Dulwich is changing. I arrived here 4 years ago and was welcomed by locals and neighbours in such a friendly and open way. Many are now good friends. The vibe was relaxed and low key with a feeling of a common goal of quietly recognising the important things - family friends working together etc..

Now it seems Clapham has moved East and we are besieged by neurotic anxious Londoners, more concerned about what they need and what they want to give a damn to contributing to the wider feeling of the community. I never like to rant on the forum and normally always avoid it, but having been party to several recent absusive attacks by residents over minor issues I couldn't not say something. The lowest point was being called a "PIG" down the phone! Enough said...

I agree, although not from London originally, I moved to London and lived North of the River until 5 years ago when I came to East Dulwich - I have met some lovely people over the years, neighbours and regulars at my local and I agree that recently Clapham has come to SE22 - I feel that most of the pubs I drink in very regularly are overtaken by snotty middle-class idiots, especially at the weekends. I hear stories from mates that during the daytime, hurds of "yummy mummy's" spend all day taking over a pub or cafe and only share one pot of coffee between them.

I believe the plural of the term is 'yummy mummies.' If you're going to insult people for being idiots, try not to seem illiterate yourself by using rogue apostrophes.

London is for all comers, that's what's so wonderfully unique about the place and ED certainly doesn't belong to any one demographic much as you may wish it to. If you really can't find your niche here then take David Wooderson's advice will you please?

onthemove123 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I hear stories from mates that during

> the daytime, hurds of "yummy mummy's" spend all

> day taking over a pub or cafe and only share one

> pot of coffee between them.

Your mates are a) full of sh*t, or b) just repeating the same old cliche their mates told them.

Subject: Revised new - M&S planning application to replace Iceland..

Posted by onthemove123 08 October, 2013 12:52

"I think it's a wonderful idea - it will add a bit of class to the area and hardly anybody goes into Iceland"

Do tell us more about these Claphamite, snotty middle-class idiot Londoners who are more concerned about what they need and want.. I'm all ears.

vanstone, areas change. If you'd seen the area in the late 90s, you probably wouldn't have fancied living here (it wasn't rough, but there was little to recommend about it). The version of ED you decided to move to was already gentrified, almost unrecognisable from its former self. So to complain about continuing changes since then seems rather odd, especially as people like you are part of the ongoing process.

onthemove123 - there may well be snotty middle-class idiots in ED, but they sound preferable to your bitchy, borderline sexist "mates".

My mates aren't sexist, and the comments made about the women who shared a pot of coffee came from a WOMAN!

The ladies I refer to are the ones who seem to take over the pubs at the weekends with their snotty male partners who are working in the city during the week, earning thousands, but just not that much that they can afford to live in Clapham or Notting Hill, so then end up in East Dulwich. These are the sort of people who are disrespectful to regulars who drink at the locals pubs all the time (and before you ask, no we're not alcoholics). One such couple at The Clockhouse once asked me to look after their baby who was asleep in a pram outside, as they drank and ate inside the pub, and would I mind "popping in if he wakes up".

I moved here (via Clapham, Battersea and the King's Road) more than a quarter of a century ago, now. It's certainly changed, but not particularly more (or indeed much) in the last 4 years. I've certainly never found myself liking it less over that time - things I have liked have gone, certainly, but other things (often that I've liked as much or more) have replaced them. Same is true for people. As far as 'Clapham moving' - well I did that yonks ago - nothing new about that. One of the great values (to me) of the 'good to live-in' parts of London is that they are always changing. One of the reasons I don't like great swathes of N. London is that it seems static - I have a friend who's lived in Neasden for ever - his street may have different people in it now, but they still seem to be the same people as ever.

I've lived here longer than 4 years & haven't noticed it changing that much. Yes, it's more gentrified & has a slightly older/more family feel, but everyone seems pretty friendly to me! There's a community feel, aided by the forum.

I remember 20 years ago there was much mumbling about trendy invasion when somebody from Islington moved in a couple of doors down. Plus ca change.

Somehow I've managed to spend half a lifetime in East Dulwich without being called a pig, not even in the last four years. Must try harder.

My family moved from Dulwich to Bellenden Road in 1970. I inherited my parental home recently. So over the years I have seen the changes to the area and know who the interlopers are. Like the indigenous population before them, some of the interlopers are arseholes and some of them are very nice people indeed. No one group has the monopoly on being idiotic or being great neighbours. It is just some people find it difficult to get on with their neighbours or lack the social skills, personality or temperment to do so. This isn't anything to do with how long someone has lived in an area it is do with people living in close proximity of each other.

Does she have children? Your case below I'm sure is extremely rare and I don't know of any Parent who be so bold. I can't understand why Mums (I refuse to use the phrase 'Yummy Mummies', it's actually quite patronising) are often being abused on this Forum. I am now back at work but my year on Maternity Leave started out as an unbelievably lonely and daunting time for me and being able to go for a coffee with a few other Mums was a lifesaver. You can't spend all your time in baby yoga classes or you'll go mad. You need some normal adult conversation and perhaps much to many people's surprise we can't actually afford lunch out every day / week!

onthemove123 Wrote:

> My mates aren't sexist, and the comments made

> about the women who shared a pot of coffee came

> from a WOMAN!

>

> The ladies I refer to are the ones who seem to

> take over the pubs at the weekends with their

> snotty male partners who are working in the city

> during the week, earning thousands, but just not

> that much that they can afford to live in Clapham

> or Notting Hill, so then end up in East Dulwich.

> These are the sort of people who are disrespectful

> to regulars who drink at the locals pubs all the

> time (and before you ask, no we're not

> alcoholics). One such couple at The Clockhouse

> once asked me to look after their baby who was

> asleep in a pram outside, as they drank and ate

> inside the pub, and would I mind "popping in if he

> wakes up".

phobic3000 Wrote:

> I agree with cordsm - I've also lived here for 4

> years. Apart from one incident where an idiot on

> his stag do took a dump on the floor in the EDT,

> I've found the area to be quite friendly.

I didn't come back to this forum for months after dumpgate because quite frankly it was a dull place once the moderator pulled the plug on that thread. I wonder if that chap ever managed to clear his name or if he still stands guilty as charged.

"Like the indigenous population before them, some of the interlopers are arseholes and some of them are very nice people indeed. No one group has the monopoly on being idiotic or being great neighbours. It is just some people find it difficult to get on with their neighbours or lack the social skills, personality or temperment to do so. This isn't anything to do with how long someone has lived in an area it is do with people living in close proximity of each other."

This.

It's the perfect answer to about 25% of the posts on here, that basically consist of people whingeing about some ill-defined group of other people.

" at The Clockhouse once asked me to look after their baby who was asleep in a pram outside, as they drank and ate inside the pub, and would I mind "popping in if he wakes up".

Not a HINT of exaggeration or selective editing with this? How far inside were they? Out of sight? 4 feet away so actually they were keeping an eye and being sociable with you?

We've lived in ED for 27 years. There have always been nice people here and there have always been objectionable people - the percentage in each category doesn't appear to have changed much over the years. Of course the area has changed but in most ways for the better.

Having said that, if the couple at The Clockhouse had asked me to look after their baby while they drank and ate inside the pub, I would have replied something the lines "If you want children, you should look after them yourself or get a family member or friend to do so". Indeed, after what happened to Madeleine McCann, I would have thought that it would be very foolish for any responsible parent to leave a baby or child with a stranger in such circumstances.

onthemove123 Wrote:

> My mates aren't sexist, and the comments made

> about the women who shared a pot of coffee came

> from a WOMAN!

>

> The ladies I refer to are the ones who seem to

> take over the pubs at the weekends with their

> snotty male partners who are working in the city

> during the week, earning thousands, but just not

> that much that they can afford to live in Clapham

> or Notting Hill, so then end up in East Dulwich.

> These are the sort of people who are disrespectful

> to regulars who drink at the locals pubs all the

> time (and before you ask, no we're not

> alcoholics). One such couple at The Clockhouse

> once asked me to look after their baby who was

> asleep in a pram outside, as they drank and ate

> inside the pub, and would I mind "popping in if he

> wakes up".

There is so much idiocy in this post, it's hard to know where to begin.

Are newcomers not 'locals' even if permanently resident?

Do you suppose the people here talking about the area 20-30 years ago consider you, at 4 years, to be long-standing?

What respect should you be shown, that you weren't? Does that directly correlate to your 4 year tenure?

Who should pubs be for? Perhaps some helpful signs on the doors would help? Please elaborate...