Free Burgers from GBK

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is 'showing off your Angus mini burgers under the

> desk' a euphemism, Lou-Lou?

Bet they're flamed grilled to perfection.

I dislike GBK overall. Too much faffing about with their odd ordering routine, and then the portions are just so huge and awkward to eat. But most of all it's the price.

But handed out free? I'd gladly take them.

On the subject of Gourmet Burger Kitchen; has anyone tried the Indian Takeaway restaurant called 'The Bombay bicycle club' at the top of lordship lane near the plough? Its actually part of the same company as GBK. Would be interesting to see what reputation they have got as they are also a large chain considering that GBK is not doing so well.

ASR Wrote:

> On the subject of Gourmet Burger Kitchen; has

> anyone tried the Indian Takeaway restaurant called

> 'The Bombay bicycle club' at the top of lordship

> lane near the plough? Its actually part of the

> same company as GBK. Would be interesting to see

> what reputation they have got as they are also a

> large chain considering that GBK is not doing so

> well.

That's better, I can read it now.

For CHG, I would agree that GBK is probably its most successful brand but the reason me saying that they are not doing so well is due to comments friends and others have made after having been there and also a couple of bad experiences which i have had myself. On the whole i would say their food is pretty good but the service is lacking in some areas. Nevertheless i am only speaking for this branch here in ED but on the whole i am sure they are very popular and successful. Either way though i am not so worried as i have given my diet a good overhaul and haven't been there for some time.

I go into GBK occasionally, as I don't like trying to eat when surrounded by loud (and sometimes badly behaved) children, [flak jacket now in place] and apart from once discovering that the bun was charred I have no complaints. In fact, the second time I went in the lady in charge recognised me and remembered my preferred burger. V impressed.

eccentric Wrote:

> I'd say it's their most successful brand. Tootsies on the other hand............

That's interesting, my old flate mate worked in a Tootsies in Canary Wharf a few years back (she made incredible tips, and took home around ?400 a week, most of it cash in hand, but that's another story). I went there a couple of times when she was working, and when I first tried GBK, I thought it was very very similar food and quality. Just shows what a bit of repackaging can do!

Think I preferred the Tootsies thing though to be honest.

"I dislike GBK overall... the portions are just so huge and awkward to eat. But most of all it's the price."

So the portions are too big and "awkward to eat" and it's too expensive(?) Try using a knife and fork and sharing.

What a daft comment to make.

Not that daft if you stop to think about it. I'd prefer a smaller burger and a smaller price rather than feel compelled either to overeat or to share - especially as Mrs Ant has very different taste to mine.

I rate them i really do, especially the blue cheese burger. I think its reasonably priced, after all you'll spend a fiver for a meal at MuckDs. The chips are pretty disapointing though and obviously frozen, bit crap after you go to all those lengths to get the burger right.