Shortest route to the "countryside" on a bike?

There are probably previous threads on this but my initial search turned up zero.

Does anyone have any good tips on the quickest/shortest route on a bike from SE22 to the nearest bit of quiet/countryside area for a longer ride? I see the cyclists heading down from Crystal Palace but haven't had the chance to ask them about their preferred routes. I'm unlikely to join a club this year so if anyone has any tips please share.

Thanks.

http://www.strava.com/routes/661025

Not sure if you'll be able to see the above link, but it's my route out to Box Hill. Another good route and possibly the quickest way to "countryside" is out to Addington and down Featherbed Lane (google it) from there you've got some nice rides just inside the M25 couple of nasty climbs coming out of Oxted to test the legs as well.

Dulwich Paragon I think have their Saturday ride routes on their website too, I think.

mikeb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> AnMKing - I can't access the route but I'd love to

> know a good way to Box Hill other than through

> Mitcham and Cheam etc.

Sorry Mike, pretty much my route.

If you want to go out on your own then maybe head down to West Wickham. If you go via Sydenham and Beckenham its all quiet back roads and then some lovely countryside - and hills!

If you fancy a nice leisurely ride one sunday morning let me know

Jon

Apologies if this route is in other links on this thread...

I sometimes go through Dulwich village - up past toll road - down through penge to beckenham - right to west Wickham - left down coney hall - up then right to keston village to a pub called the fox for a quick drink then back again. It's about 20 miles roughly. You also have the option of continuing to Biggin hill - Tatsfield or heading to Downe from here.