petrol theft (from Vespa)

Hi - has anyone else been experiencing petrol theft? My scooter (Vespa), which I keep outside my house in Nunhead, has been repeatedly targeted. I recently had a security device fitted over the petrol tap to try to deter thieves but last night someone smashed it off and stole the petrol. I rely on my scooter to commute to work so am finding this petty theft fairly annoying.

Anyone got any suggestions? I've reported it to the police but other than giving me a crime reference number and sending scouts out to my local area as a general measure they are unlikely to be able to assist. I'm thinking about getting CCTV. Just all so irritating!

Thanks, Louise

Hey! I'm a vespa owner on the other side of Peckham Rye and have had an issue with this in the past. Where do you park your bike? I used to leave mine on the road until my ?5's worth of fuel got taken, now I park it up tight against a wall (on the right handside of the scooter), that has mean't you can't move it and steel the fuel anymore.

Nick

Sorry to hear this has spread over to the Nunhead side of the park. Quite a few thefts have been reported on the ED side regularly on the forum. Vespas are easy targets as the fuel pipe can be just pulled out. On the upside, it does mean that its just the fuel you have a bill for, not a new fuel pipe if they cut it!

As Nick says, try and park your bike against a wall to make it harder. We still have had petrol nicked where they have moved the bike - but you can get motion alarms that would prevent this.

Anything that would draw attention to the thieves, like an alarm, or CCTV (or threat of - dummy camera/sign?)would make your bike less attractive, so its worth a go. And if you have somewhere you could store it, its helpful to keep a can of petrol to top up if it does happen and at least you can get to work!

Yes, the police are roundly rubbish on this type of crime. Sadly though, its because they have to prioritise more serious stuff.

Any security is better than none. Putting it cynically you want to make it easier to nick someone else's petrol.

Good start is put a cover on the bike and a big chain and padlock round it. It's a pain but I put a cover on my bike every night.

Thanks everyone - really helpful. Didn't realise this was so common. Funny how such a small thing can really effect you. It's ruins your community spirit when your car gets keyed and petrol is repeatedly stolen from your bike. Sad and incredibly irritating!