Picnic benches in Goose Green Playground

Can anyone tell me why two green metal benches have been put right in the area where the kids play football? They have been screwed to the ground and so cannot be moved. That area (by the ducks as the kids call them!) has ALWAYS been used by kids for football, and they are very upset. It is the best place for footy without getting in the way of children playing on the equipment.

Who thought it was a good idea to plant them there? And does the playground need more benches?

I'm taking a wiiiiild guess here, but maybe mothers of younger children (those under five) didn't like the big nasty boys playing their horrible loutish game and lobbied to get them put there. I do agree it is the most stupid place for a pair of benches, benches that would have been much more appreciated if they were put on the other side of the green, tastefully placed in the soon to be defunct dog free area. No one has had a good word to say about them yet

well no i don't think that is the reason as none of the toddler stuff is there. it's next to the climbing frame aimed at the biggest kids and no mother of a toddler would let him/her run around there unsupervised as that gate is always left open.

i think it's consultation gone crazy, next there will be climbing frames in with the swings, tables atop slides and real geese in honor of the name...

Ursula Allison from Southwark always seems to be helpful, I have sent her an email pointing out that this is 'football game' space and one of the table blocks the goal - she is going to make a few enquiries and report back, here is her e mail if anyone else wants to e mail her

[email protected]

I would also suggest contacting the Friends of Goose Green (FoGG) http://www.friendsofgoosegreen.org.uk/ who have established themselves as a group of residents with the best interests of the Green (including the playground) at heart. I know they have recently been allocated funding to develop the playground (which was announced at the public meeting) but the benches were not part of that but I will raise the question of the benches at the committee meeting tomorrow night (I'm on the committee) to see if anyone knows anything about them.

And I would suggest signing up to the email mailing list to hear about Goose Green events and announcements that FoGG are aware of, this includes public meetings, council decisions etc.

[edited once]

As a mother of a young (under 5 child) who spends a lot of time in this playground I have never heard of anyone wanting to stop the bigger boys playing in this area. In fact as a mother of a small boy it's been very good to have a dedicated football area that smaller children can keep out of and as they get a bit older can start to join in the football games. I'm furious that these benches have been put here, who can we lobby to get them removed. What a waste of money. What is the matter with our council.

beef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm taking a wiiiiild guess here, but maybe

> mothers of younger children (those under five)

> didn't like the big nasty boys playing their

> horrible loutish game and lobbied to get them put

> there. I do agree it is the most stupid place for

> a pair of benches, benches that would have been

> much more appreciated if they were put on the

> other side of the green, tastefully placed in the

> soon to be defunct dog free area. No one has had

> a good word to say about them yet

Hello All

My name is Denise Fulgoni and I am the secretary for Friends of Goose Green (local community group) and a local Mum of 2 (aged 5 & 2). I have been working hard over the last year to secure funding to improve the playground. We now have funds to install/update a section of the playground so that smaller children have correct equipment to play safely and new equipment will be in place in August. Along with this Jim Broadrib of Southwark Parks Maintenance and his small team have re-painted swings, re tarmaced the entrance, removed graffiti, etc... He has also supplied the 2 new picnic benches, but I agree they have been put in the wrong place. Jim and I have spoken and are planning to move the bench which is infront of the Geese Mosaic to the other side of the raised bed so that football can resume. The other bench will stay near the double gates though as we hope this may curtail balls being kicked over the wall and crossing the footpath.

We are currently bidding for more funds so that a phase 2 can start which will address the issue of football and activities for the older children.

I hope this clarifies the issue and if you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to contact the Friends.

Cheers Denise

thanks for the links!

Surely with all the current press about obesity, etc, we should be encouraging the kids to play. And since there is now dog mess all over the whole of goose green, it is NOT SAFE for the children to play on there. Always supposing they don;t get scared (or worse) by the dogs first, of course!

The bench near the double gates is directly in front of one the goalie areas, I have no idea what the problem is with footballs going over the wall onto the footpath - this is what happens when young people play football - how horrible to 'curtail' the game by positioning unwanted furniture.

I have sat down to respond to the ongoing discussion on the placement of said picnic benches, but I am afraid that I am overwhelmed by the utter negativity of all the messages. At no point has anyone acknowledged that the playground has been receiving much overdue attention, maintenance and an injection of new equipment.

The benches will be moved and the issue of where it is best to play a football game in the confines of the playground will be addressed. I do not appreciate the inference that 'unless you have a school age boy (or girl)who plays football you would not understand the upset'. I am in the playground most days and many of the children from St John's, Goose Green Primary and Puddleducks know me as I have visited them to get their input on the plans. I come along with my 2 children at varying times of the day and football is actually rarely played except at the end of the school day.

The benches are DDA compliant so that they can be used by children and/or parents in Wheelchairs or for mothers who have buggies.

I understand that you cannot ever please everyone, but a thankyou every now and then goes a long way.

Denise

Hi D - If the overwhelming response is negative, maybe it is because the majority of users don't agree with the choices made. If a perceived mistake has been made, people will not thank you for taking the initiative.

Of course good work has been done and you can never please everybody, but don't take it so personally. Working on public projects always has a thankless aspect!

Take it on the chin old girl.

;-)

This discussion is about the benches, people were negative about the council's decision, Denise stepped in and it's now been addressed, surely that's a good thing? FoGG has established itself as a voice for the preservation and improvement of Goose Green and the playground and so are a useful group to have in the area. I'm biased here because I'm on the FoGG committee too but things have been done, as demonstrated here by Denise's hard work, so I can understand her annoyance at the negativity and lack of appreciation. Those with kids will know the feeling of thankless tasks so I'd expect them to know better.

Anyway I would recommend that people sign up on the Fogg website to stay informed about Goose Green (especially about the playground and the dividing fence across the green) and you'll be updated when there's any news or something interesting happening.

All i'm hearing is this so called 'fogg' decides whats best without really listening to what anyone else wants. Its ongoing problems with youth after a certain age... theres absolutley no provision for them and so they make-do. They have been playing football there long before any club was established. I think you should think about spending this money in 'improving' the play area by also thinking about slightly older children who have perhaps grown out of playing on outdated todler-only play equipment. The park is there for everyone.

Well done FoGG for all the work you have done and are doing!

As for those complaining about FoGG. Are you members of FoGG? Do you get involved? Have you applied for funding? Have you lobbied the council for improvements?

As for the benches - There have been benches with disabled access in Peckham Rye Park for years. Most of them have a full length seat on one side and a half length on the other.

omgwtfpwn,

there's an enormous green space only 5 minutes down the road, for those older kids who want to play football. Peckham Rye also has a skate board area and a cafe and some fantastic gardens. I believe they are also erecting a building that will have some youth provision. Surely that is quite a lot to be going on with? Not quite on the doorstep, but very close.

omgwtfpwn Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> All i'm hearing is this so called 'fogg' decides whats best without really listening to what anyone else wants.

I'm not sure where you get that from but try listening again to the bit above that says "...many of the children from St John's, Goose Green Primary and Puddleducks know me as I have visited them to get their input on the plans". Perhaps you should put your tangible suggestions for the playground forward to whoever you feel will listen, FoGG is a good place to start.

I know they're primary kids but omgwtfpwn said "they don't listen to anyone". I was just getting defensive but I just hope that she's raised the point during the consultaion, otherwise people don't know how she feels.

I think maybe this group of users may have been overlooked, but I'm sure they can be encouraged to get involved as the whole thing isn't finished yet, so their views should be able to be listened now that FoGG know about their concerns.

I don't think anyone needs to go on the attack, or the defence for that matter, there are more useful ways of communicating!