What's happened to yee wah takeaway

The 'problem' with good independents is that, by definition, they are independent.

When the owner(s) wish to retire, or move-on, unless they have dedicated family to follow them - or someone prepared to buy and continue the business 'as-is' (and if it is a family or personally run business - how easy is that?)- then they will close and disappear.

Chains do offer continuity - independents don't.

For a community the upside of having thriving independent retail and food business serving that community is their independence and unique service - the downside is that continuity cannot be guaranteed (or even offered) past the business lifetime of their initial owners. Sometimes businesses are handed on to family, or sold-on to like minded individuals, but even then you may (indeed should) expect changes - an unchanging independent starts to have the soul of a chain.

Because of the size of retail outlets in ED (which are not attractive to chains) we may anticipate turn-over of premises, even where they do continue as retail outlets. This will mean the inevitable loss of treasured shops and restaurants, and premises being closed at times. But hopefully, their eventual replacement with (albeit) different offerings.

All of us (if we have been here any time) will have had favoured businesses close, and regretted that closure. Equally many of us have been able to welcome new businesses, and new people trading.

GinaG3 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to love yee wah until I started finding

> bits of steel scourer in my noodles. No-one does

> spiced smoked shredded chicken like them! Zin

> oriental were the next best but they've gone too.

That's shocking to hear as we've used them loads over the past 3 or 4 years and never had anything like that. They were lovely staff too & they always threw in free extra speciality dishes for us being regulars. We'll miss them.

When I walked past for a nosey the pizza place had a note saying their oven was broken but YW looked like they had moved out. I am really hoping they'll pop back up after a refurb but I would have thought there might be a note on the door if it wasn't shutting for good.

I've been ordering from them for years and always loved their food especially crispy shredded beef and Kung pow chicken!

I never tried Yee Wah but I was a big fan of Ghandi and I'm gutted that its not there anymore. Seemed weird that Ghandi changed to Eastern Nights not that long ago, then closed shortly after. Don't know if it was the same people or not as I didn't get a chance to go in there. As it was so sudden and other shops on that stretch have closed I wondered if perhaps they had all been bought out to make way for something bigger.

Dopamine1979 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Saliva chicken ?!

A literal translation.. some call it "mouth watering" chicken, presumably because of the sensation of the szechuan pepper and chilli in the mouth.