Hubcap theft...is there a lot going on around 'ere ?

spark67

Thanks to the sh*te bag (or bags) who nicked two rear wheel covers of our little fiat 500 last night...hope a big fat bag of smelly karma plunges on you very soon !

Has there been anyone else who's had this problem ? & is there anything you can get to secure them on once I get the replacements ? I know you can get plastic loops, but they look like they can be cut easily. We lease our car and when I spoke to the maintenance people they said they've had a few reports of this happening to their cars over the last month.

So if anyone is offered fiat hubcaps under the table at their local you know where they probably came from ;)

• 4 months later...

Update on hubcap theft ...I had to replace mine at a hefty cost,(my cars leased, so have no choice) now secured with metal cable ties, but this will only slow any thieve down, not prevent theft...as my neighbour found out this morning as all four of theirs were taken overnight, which were also secured with cable ties. Recently found out one of my other neighbours has had so many stolen over the years that they have given up replacing them.

So it seems Underhill road is an... errr Hub of hubcap theft, I guess

Thanks James, just been looking into that funnily enough, so will try that. I know it's probably a trivial thing in the great scheme of things, Its just annoying when you have to pay out to replace them, Felt really sorry for my neighbour today, I had two taken, but all four is costly enough. It's obviously a very organised lot, pinching them to order probably, all ready equipped with cutters to remove cable ties

south east twenty stu, big eye roll in your direction, as it's pretty clear it was intentional with the comma, are you that bored ? or do you generally feel your that amusing, well done.

love a pedantic me :)

anyway back on topic. I would've done that uncleglen, trouble is I have a lease car & have to keep it in the condition I leased it in...but if it happens again I'll probably do as you have and get some cheap ones until I return the car in a couple of years, then replace them with the proper ones.I have even scratched the new ones up a bit, so any thief wanting to sell them as new, in pristine condition might be put off. ( my two rear ones were not touched as I am rubbish at parking by the kerb and have scraped those ones a bit, the front were not so bad, as I'm more rubbish at forward parking, so tend to reverse park)

possibly Dulwich fox... but I reckon unlikely ..there's money to be made ( mine were over ?80 each to replace )..the ones stolen were pristine, the ones left were damaged and unsellable. My neighbours were also from a limited model car, so probably would fetch some dosh on ebay, (they were also attached by metal cable ties, so someone had to have some pliers on them to remove them) Sometimes they can fly off, which probably happened to the one you saw, but the chances of more than one doing that at the same time are remote.

Have had a car vandalised though, about 5 yrs ago, someone lovingly etched the word "vex" in large letters on the bonnet...also on several other neighbours cars on the same road :/