dog fouling: any advice?

Tanza

I am really at my wits end about how to tackle the dog fouling that is happening on a daily basis outside my house in Melbourne Grove. I just wondered if anyone has ever successfully tackled the problem - or is it just part and parcel of city life?

Just now, I've found another steaming pile right by my front path and my husband is clearing it up yet again. I've even had it actually on my path. Without exaggeration, I have it right outside my front gate several times a week. Right outside - by my front gate. On Weds a repair man leaving my house caught an owner with her dog in action fouling right outside my house and said "I hope you aren't leaving that there. I nearly stepped in it." The woman swore at him - and didn't clear it up.

I'm not at home the whole time, so hard to know if it's always the same dog/owner. I'm also puzzled why it's always outside my gate - are dogs really such creatures of habit??

I've called the council numerous times to clear it up. And it's so regular we are now clearing it up too. I've also contacted our MP. I've put up polite notices to politely ask dog owners not to foul the street to no avail.

I feel a little better now I've ranted on the forum. Any advice appreciated.

I'm a dog owner and I had someone letting his dog foul outside my house too, he let the dogs go to the loo and it started about 3 doors away and past mine, I used to go out and pick it up alomost daily, one day my neighbour and I were outside and the guy came along, his dog did the deed and my neighbour told the guy to wait and he went in and got him a bag and told him "I think that's yours" or something similar, anyhow he has never left it agin! Also about 6 doors away from me, one of my neighbours has made a sign saying please pick up after your dog and they have nailed a pack of poo bags to the tree, which they seem to replenish regualrly, I haven't seen any poo for ages, good luck!

Definitely dog poo? We have frequent deposits on our path from foxes. Either way, I have tried a medium to weak bleach solution splashed over front path every few days effective. Moves the problem on but keeps it from my kids being welcomed by it in the morning.

Feel for you. It probably is the same dog and owner. Dogs are promoted to go by their own scent, so this is probably why it happens in the same place. i'd definitely try to monitor and see if you can catch the idiot who is leaving their dog's poo. As advised dashing out with a bag and asking the owner to collect might shame them into being more responsible in future.

Btw, bleach won't remove smell as far as dog is concerned...rinsing area with surgical spirit will.

Agree. Melbourne Grove & Fellbrig Road are the two streets where I always have to watch closely where I put my feet:)

I think putting down some bleach sounds like a good idea. An alternative, if it doesn't work, would be a fox repellent product, like Scoot. Should work with dogs too...

We had the same problem on our street. It used to happen over night (or early in the morning) so it was difficult to identify who was responsible, but we think it was down to one serial offender.

*most* dog owners are responsible, just a tiny minority who seem to think its OK to leave s**t outside peoples houses.

We put notices up (attached) on every lamppost on the street about 2 months ago. That seems to have fixed the problem (although I have to admit, it could explain why there may have been an increase on Melbourne grove!)

Serioously, I think these people just don't realise the offence it causes and unless theyre told so they wont stop

. So, either challenge them in the street if you can and tell them how anti-socal this is or put up some notices

Edited to say: naming and shaming is good IMO. However, you assume these people read EDF. I would suggest: if you see them doing it: take a photo of them and attach that to a notice on a lamppost.

I think the legislation you cite has been repealed. Any dog fouling us now covered by the Environment and Clean Neighbourhoods Act 2005. The Act covers various forms of environmental stuff, from graffiti to littering, there is a section on dog control orders and fouling comes within that. The police would not deal with this, it is a council matter.