East Dulwich Police ward panel update

East Dulwich ward Safer Neighbourhood Team is a local dedicated resource to our area. They're ward based. East Dulwich ward has about 15,000 residents.

It is composed of 1 x sgt. Stewart Turnbull, 1 x PC Adrian Crust, 1 x PCSO Louise Wisson

Around every other month they meet with a ward panel of local residents who help agree local Police priorities and every other month a public meeting. They also attend Dulwich Community council meeting which meet roughly every other month.

Their contact details are:

http://www.police.uk/metropolitan/00BEGH/

[email protected]

07920 233912

At last nights ward panel 20 August 7pm Christ Chruch 263 Barry Road I took the following notes:

Burglary

Single occupancy flats really attractive. Easy for criminals to pick out targets.

9 burlaries in total. 1 house x 3 flats inside burgled, 1x2, 4x1 over 4 week periodSo three buildings hit with communal entries - slipped communal doors for access - kicked flat doors open.

1x2 attempted as well.

But also another 5x1 within 100m of East Dulwich ward

Methods of entry

- day time

- doors facing streets

- slipped doors

- Forced windows

- Open goals - doors / windows left unlocked or leaflets/letters left sticking out of doors for suffieicnt time for burglars to realsie occupants away (please push these throguh for neighbours).

Front gardens high hedges, etc hiding illegal entries.

One artifice burglary (gardening offered at ridiculous price and then while walking through house to garden items stolen).

5 burglars arrested but no reduction in levels.

Police actions taken:

- Crime prevention patrols daily

- Cocooning mandated for Southwark burglaries Southwark (10 homes behind, 10 across, 5 either side pro actively offered crime prevention advice as VERY high chance of such properties beign targetted next). Offering advice is one thing but neighbours need to take and act on advice to minimise risk of being burgled.

- Massive increase in NeighbourHood Watch volunteers to 38 on 22 different local street by PCSO Wisson (37) covering:

Archdale Road, Ashbourne Grove, Barry Road, Chesterfield Grove, Crawthew Grove, Crystal Palace Road, Darrell Road, Elsie Road, Fellbrigg Road, Friern Road, Heber Road, HEnslowe Road, Lacon Road, Landcroft Road, Landells Road, Matham Grove, North Cross Road, Pellatt Toad, Rodwell Road, Upland Road, Worlingham Road, Zenoria Street.

Please get in touch if youd like to know who you're NHW coordinator is.

Equally if'd you'd like to become one let me know and we'll help make it happen.

Motor Vehicle Crime - last 4 weeks.

3 vehicles stolen - high value motorbikes

8 thefts from vehicles

Mostly overnight -

UMV thefts high value items left on offer - satnavs, mobiles, tool boxes, etc.

Component theft

Robbery - last 4 weeks

Only one commercial robbery and no personal robberies

Conc. enforcement patrols around

-East Dulwich Grove

- East Dulwich station

- Operation Protect still going strong

- Shift to POS during school holidays

- Police horses visited Dulwich (sspect they like the park which historically has high summer holiday thefts but zero).

Last 3 months - 1 commercial. 1 personal robberies.

Dulwich Road Casualty Reduction initiative

Ideal community speed watch - report back registration of speeders and police contact them

Plenty of volunteers. Plenty of ides

Lots of partners

Stalled by a little bureaucracy

Anticipate starting of community speed check in Summer.

Junior schools - have used them.

Safest ward in borough - July

- 9 burglaries

- 4 criminal damage

- 4 drugs

- 1 other notifiable offences

- 20 theft & handling (mostly shops)

- 19 violence against the person (almost all domestic related / most a couple of victims).

Alertboxes - still in use. Biggest Business Watch in London using them ( I'm very proud thaT I made this happen as a ward councillor).

Is their a mark 2 - add medical.

Cannabis farm - EDG, Goodrich, Silvester.

ED station - gang culture / keep robberies down. Youths using public transport to get around. REcent partner working with train oeprator British Transport Police appears to have really helped reduce robberies locally.

CCTV not thought would be helpful - past reported knife robbers arrested and crime took place to NE of statino outside the ward..

Engagement

- twitter - starting an East Dulwich account next month.

- St.Johns ambulance - engaging with their yound members.

- schools - school visits etc.

- Notting Hill Carnival - big impact on local officers policing there.

- NATO summit - our sgt will be away for 10 days.

Hi Alan Miedic,

Our local Police Sgt. and two other offers from the area are being seconded to help protect the NATO Summit in SE Wales.

Hi KK,

http://www.alertbox.co.uk/

Little boxes with alert buttons on them. When a shop or buiness presses the alert button all the nearby boxes alarm stating the premise that pressed the button and usually lots of people dash to help investigate why the alert was sounded. A very useful tool in the Business Watch scheme we have locally that has over 100 businesses involved and one of the largest in he UK I'm told.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi KK,

> http://www.alertbox.co.uk/

> Little boxes with alert buttons on them. When a

> shop or buiness presses the alert button all the

> nearby boxes alarm stating the premise that

> pressed the button and usually lots of people dash

> to help investigate why the alert was sounded. A

> very useful tool in the Business Watch scheme we

> have locally that has over 100 businesses involved

> and one of the largest in he UK I'm told.

Ah those kide of alert boxes! My apologies I thought it was something more community/general public related. Thanks for clarifying. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest notes from local Police presentation at Dulwich Community Council 10 September.

For all wards April-July crime is down.

College

11 officers

Lots of Shell Petrol Station crime on Crystal Palace Parade driving away without paying.

East Dulwich

8 officers

57 crime compared 83 for same 4 months this to last year.

Village

New sgt Ian Berkley9 officers

Tues 18/9 high visibility Action Day. Every street will be patrolled on foot twice during the day.

Experiment to see if it will reduce crime?

General prob - fraud against older residents sometimes over the phone - bank account raided. Don't engage with them.call the police via 101 number.

Little Book of scams - http://www.met.police.uk/docs/little_book_scam.pdf

International terrorism ? threat level increased from substantial to severe. Highly likely an attack will take place. Please report suspicious activities or people. Hotline 0800 789 321

Burglary ED ward - more officers patrolling. Some in plain cloths.

Crime prevention advice free ? please ask for a home visit ? [email protected]

Motor vehicle crime - decoy car in College ward for 4 months May-Sept. Result has been a 50% reduction in car crime.

East Dulwich station. Criminals often use public transport to get around since Police Auto Number Plate Recognition patrol cars in place. Two operations have taken place - 15/8 x2 arrests + number of warnings, 4/9 x2 arrests + number of warnings and.

Mobile CCTV obtained and initially being used to fight Anti Social Behaviour around the Lordship Lane estate.

• 3 months later...

These are my notes from tonights ED SNT ward panel meeting...

Still looking for more Community Speed Watch volunteers. Confirmed the speed guns we provided have just been recalibrated and ready for action.

"Cracking couple of months"

Team:

New sgt Tor (victoria) benbow DW from 5/1/15 ex.traffic police officer

PC adrian crust DW , stuart chaffer, patricia bullock, brendan wiseglass, george beechey

PCSO lezlee williams long term sick, Louise Wisson DW

Burglary

Drop in offending in last month

Unsophisticated methods of entry - slipped doors, forced windows, open goals (homes left unsecured)

No artifice

Crime prevention patrols daily

'Cocooning' mandated for burglaries on southwark - warning 10 properties behind, opposite and 5 either side of a burgled property.

Increase in NHW continues - let me know if anyone would like to run a Neighbourhood Watch Scheme for their section of road.

Last 3 mths - 15 burglaries

3 in last 4 weeks

2 saturday daytime. 1 Thursday afternoon (former resident)

Motor vehicle crime

Mostly overnight Smash and grab

Open goals (unlocked cars)

Three thefts vehicles lordship lane

Theft of tools x 2

Motor cycle anchors (for private properties) for private property - if you'd like one let me know.

Temp evidential cctv

Theft of ?15k from a car

6 motor crimes last in 4 weeks

Robbery

Operation Protect still going strong

No personal robberies. Only ward in south london BUT some a few feet outside of the ward but still in SE22.

1 commercial armed (guns or knives or any weapon) robbery - Coop store.

3 nearby in area not in the 3rd but still in SE22. Very high levels of this type of offence.

Discussed a Dulwich police base or deputation. Support by Rosie and I as Lib Dem Councillors, COnversative councillors also support. Labour councillor said after 12+ months Labour hadn't yet made it's mind up!

Lowest crime rate in November 59 total crimes in the borough

66 College ward

63 Village ward

Theft and handling 23

Violence against person (harassment including online) 19

Last 12 mths 100 less crimes in total.

What can we do?

Design out crime.

Shatter proof film on sash windows, replace with dble glazing esp. landlords,

Landlords and tenants don't harden properties. Yale locks! HMO

Traffic incidents - 2 crashes with injuries.

Any questions please email me.

Sure, Henry_17.

Slipped doors are yale type locks where either no deadlock present or not used. It is relatively easy to slip a door open when only a yale lock involved.

Quite a few properties where a common front door to hallways but then seperate flats only have yale locks or residents don't bother using the deadlocks.

Nothing to stop people putting up signs or posters to encourage others.

In East Dulwich you can get free property marking kits which do deter theft. I've just helped order 500 such kits and with a light work has been renegotiated to 610 new kits.

Clubbing together for an additional non Yale style lock that isn't mortice but closes automatically.

You could ask our local Police to udnertake a crime prevemtion visit and try and organise others to also be in at the same time to help drive the message home.

Hopefully these ideas of some use.

• 6 months later...

Apologies for not posting before. The latest ward panel on Wednesday 1 July Christchurch, 263 Barry Road my notes:

The chair has resigned. A new chair was elected.

Crime stats.

Iceland, white stuff (3 in one month nought in other), Lloyds pharmacy NCR, experience lots of shop lifting. Police this crime could be designed out - it appears big chains accept loses but report crimes and provide CCTV. So a number of people arrested after the fact rather than making it a harder target. Will M&S be better replacing Iceland. It wont have car park entrance so it must at least be a little better.

Patrolling hotspots - ED station, ED Grove, Lordship Lane White Stuff, Iceland, Barry Road, NCR Lloyds pharmacy - repeat!

Overall crime per down over the last 12 months.

Burglary - spread over time - but a lot 5/6am, around lunch time. No pattern for days.

Breeze blocks - kids place these in obvious spot to see if anyone notices them. Wait an hour or two then if unmoved implies no ne around and they use them to smash single pane sash windows - very common to burglaries. If you can replace with double glazing which you can get as sash windows.

Motor Vehicle crime - especially mobile phones and sat navs still being left. Even car doors left unlocked especially on drives!

1 robbery in the last month.

A number of Police signs have been in the same place and not refreshed across East Dulwich, ad need to be put back into sensible positions on lamp posts. With our Police now based in Camberwell it is more complicated to get a ladder down to ED.

So I've asked to use less ?200 from the ED Crime Prevention fund I established years ago to fund a telescopic ladder - they can be carried on buses, car boos, etc and the police will no longer have a reason to not keep these signs up to date and in position.

Put derelict shop in touch with owner rep.

Barry Road. Etc more road speed signage - would this help reduce speeds?

Several years ago former councillors Richard Thomas, Joanthan Mitchell and myself provided speed cameras/guns to the local police. They're calibrated until November - we confirmed we'd pay for recalibration. Agreed Sunday 2 August first session - book via Charlie or me if interested to attend - using the Speed camera on Barry Road.

Our Police sgt. will check if we could buy local average speed cameras.