childs micro scooter taken outside dulwich park cafe this afternoon

a genuine mistake i'm sure, but someone walked off with my son's almost brand new (blue) micro scooter this afternoon at around 4pm, leaving behind their old battered one which was parked next to it. I've put the old one behind the counter at the cafe in the hope that once the mistake is realised the person in question might have the honesty to go back and swap them back? Our's is unmarked with no identifying stickers. Obviously a lesson to be learnt there.

Sorry to hear this, but I expect it was intentional. Said scooters cost ?40 and easily get broken and battered. It happens a lot inadvertent 'swapping' of the blue/pink scooters in the local parks. Better to have got one for a tenner from Argos.

My son's got one of the ?40 scooters and it is pretty bashed up at the front. Just console yourself with the fact that at least the swiper left behind his/her scooter.

I can imagine you are rather irate though. Understandably so under the circumstances. :(

oh - I don't know - we nearly did the same the other day. Identical crap woolies scooter but my daughter picked the wrong one. It was only when I spotted that the crap scooby doo sticker seemed to have refreshed itself that we took it bvack and retrieved ours. Mistakes do happen...

Spangles30 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to hear this, but I expect it was

> intentional. Said scooters cost ?40 and easily get

> broken and battered. It happens a lot inadvertent

> 'swapping' of the blue/pink scooters in the local

> parks. Better to have got one for a tenner from

> Argos.

> My son's got one of the ?40 scooters and it is

> pretty bashed up at the front. Just console

> yourself with the fact that at least the swiper

> left behind his/her scooter.

> I can imagine you are rather irate though.

> Understandably so under the circumstances. :(

I'm sorry Spangles, but you do yourself no favours. Why automatically assume it was deliberate? Yes maybe it was but, oh how like you to jump in with the accusation. I've never met you and frankly seeing your persona here I'm glad.

it certainly is a bit of an assumption to straight away say someone did it on purpose (and btw spangles30 how do you know lawnmower man isnt talking about a ?10 one from Argos?)

if it was on purpose, i would guess they would not have left one behind.

i hope it is a genuine mistake and that you get your scooter back -be it ?40 or ?10 worth

(Edited for spelling)

well, it's monday now and sad to say we didn't get our scooter back. of course i have no idea if was taken inadvertently or not - i can see how someone could easily mistake theirs with another, after all they all look the same (yes it was a ?40 one) and a busy parent or unfamiliar grandparent would never know the difference. on the other hand I have received plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest, just as spangles says, that these things get pinched or "swapped" all the time, either in parks or at school. we've learned a lesson and any future purchases will be immediately customised and etched with our childrens names.

I don't quite see how customising or etching your childs' ?40 quid blue micro scooter is any guarantee against it getting "swapped" at the park. I'd have to agree with Spangles30and say biting the bullet and going down Argos to buy a ?10 quid one might not be a bad idea. However, the most important thing you can do it Keep an Eye on It. Not every kid on a scooter in Peckham Rye Park is a little angel or accompanied by someone to keep them on the right track. Even if you were able to identify your childs' scooter - which in the case of etching would mean being at pretty close quarters - can you in all honesty say you'd have the bottle to confront the perp or perps. Maybe a delightful angel faced five year old in a flouncy pink frock or maybe a gaggle of slackyawed youths shuffling along constrained by their low slung jeans. You wouldn't leave your mobile on the ground while queing for an iced lolly and a peppermint tea so why do the same with a scooter. By the way I do hope your young charge wasn't too traumatised.

Lawnmowerman, I am sorry you had your scooter stolen. It is interesting how my son's bashed up ?40 one has never been taken. LOL.

Also thanks for the kind words (to you too Superberry). There are certain posters on here who are quick to attack all my postings - and make it personal too.

Miss D "how do you know lawnmower man isnt talking about a ?10 one from Argos?". He wasn't - and I knew he wasn't. Argos don't sell blue micro scooters. Check your facts.

"it certainly is a bit of an assumption to straight away say someone did it on purpose". No, it isn't (an assumption). As Lawnmowerman himself has stated, scooter swiping is quite prolific in the local parks. I have seen loads of the scooters parked neatly in the playgrounds and have spken to several people who have had 'em nicked.

So there you have it. Hardly an assumption.

Possibly to her surprise (and annoyance) , I'm going to come to spangles defence here. If the same events happened to me, my working assumption would be that I had been "done". If it turned out to be a mistake then I would have been pleasantly surprised

Yes it's possibly accurate to say spangles was quick to jump in but re-reading here post, if it was written by anyone else I don't think there would have been an issue. I expect normal servce to resume between us soon tho ;-)

As for lawnmowerman; sorry to hear things haven't turned out better