SE22 pavements

Nigello

The persistent rain yesterday really showed up the pavements on and around LL as really sub-par. Lots of dents, dimples and cracks were apparent, with water pooling inches deep. Is it the clay soil that doesn't provide solid enough support for the paving stones, or is it crappy workmanship or a mixture of the two?

Anyone...anyone...?

Landy10, James - Yes, the area outside the parade of shops opposite ESPH/ED Picture House (to be) was particularly bad. I know we don't have such downpours regularly but it's not acceptable.

There's a big dent opposite Goodrich School on Goodrich Road too (near where the council earlier did fix a broken flagstone, to be fair).

The likely culprit is more likely to be Southwarks maintenance strategy rather than poor workmanship - pavement maintenance is relatively straightforward, workmen are generally skilled, and modern materials pretty forgiving. When budgets are tight a reactive maintenance strategy is more likely - patching up problem areas as and when they get so bad local residents start to complain. Unfortunately, patching is a short-term fix and solving the underlying problem - by replacing the pavement in its entirety, not just the top layer - represents higher up-front investment. Although this approach would likely pay for itself in the long term.

Thank you!

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was assured last year summerthat that section

> would be repaired in the Autumn 2013.

> I'll chase that down. Bloody annoying. That whole

> area is a bit of a pickle.

As one of the milkmen who serve SE22 I have noticed the poor quality of some of the roads round the back of Lordship Lane.

I think it's Fellbrigg Road where the appalling "up and down"-ed-ness of the paving slabs has been "solved" in the last week or so by the application of a few dabs of "black stuff".

I sincerely hope that this is a VERY temporary fix, because if your council thinks it can leave this splash-and-dash for more than a few months then it will leave it for years...

One might hope that is a temp. repair.

If that IS the case, would it not be cheaper to send out one team to repair it properly in the first place,

rather than sending out two teams.

Suspect that will be the final repair and it will be left like that till it crumbles away when the frosts come.

Call me Old Fashioned. :)

DulwichFox

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was assured last year summerthat that section

> would be repaired in the Autumn 2013.

> I'll chase that down. Bloody annoying. That whole

> area is a bit of a pickle.

Its not about a repair James - the whole of the north end of Lordship Lane needs a complete pavement overhaul and upgrade which many other areas have been fortunate enough to benefit from. Areas around Brockwell Park and Dulwich Park would be examples of good paving overhauls. With more and more bars/eateries having outside seating etc it needs to look much nicer and a smooth consistent product from shopfront to roadside from Franklins to EDT would be good.

I'm holding my breath.