Attempted break in on Upland Road

Yesterday me and my fella returned from the pub just before 10pm (Sunday quiz night at the Herne?s?good!) to find a lad on a bike doing a WHEELIE out of our driveway. He?d got the padlock off the shed somehow but fortunately hadn?t taken anything as looks like we disturbed him.

We called the police who turned up immediately and says they have a massive issue on their hands at the moment with house/shed/car burglary in the area and East Dulwich on a whole.

Just a heads up really?be vigilant people!

yes - spend a fortune on opening a station and then we can have thread s like this again

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,139204,139679#msg-139679

Having a station doesn't have any impact on burglaries - you do know that, right?

Having more police generally might help solve more crimes - but equally will cost a lot of money too (even if cuts are applied elsewhere)

But a lot of well off people are moving to the area, easily spotted and therefore an obvious target - tehse things tend to happen in waves

But having a police station nearby won't actually help

Perhaps the police should hire two reformed convicts to wander up and down ED streets spotting potential burglary targets. Once spotted, potential victim gets a warning letter informing them of a weakness in their property.

Potential victim has 90 days to remedy potential weakness.

Three warning letters in a three-year period and the police inform your contents insurer.

Too Good To Be True Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Perhaps the police should hire two reformed

> convicts to wander up and down ED streets spotting

> potential burglary targets. Once spotted,

> potential victim gets a warning letter informing

> them of a weakness in their property.

>

> Potential victim has 90 days to remedy potential

> weakness.

>

> Three warning letters in a three-year period and

> the police inform your contents insurer.

Bonkers

Not victim blaming.

It's just that the best way to reduce crime is prevention.

The reason car crime has fallen is because more people have better car security.

If someone (and I'm not saying it's the OP) leaves a laptop in full view and it gets stolen, it will attract more burglars to the area.

Bobbies on the beat and more police stations are unlikely to reduce burglaries.

Forgive me if I seem naive but I've never understood how people end up being burgled. If you have a proper door (ie one not made of either wood or plastic) and proper windows and you actually lock them, you will never be burgled. Unless they know you've got the Mona Lisa on your wall, they'll just go elsewhere. It really is the simplest thing in the world.

Alarms are a waste of time, no one pays the slightest attention to them. I have external doors set in a concrete frame made predominantly from steel with a multipoint locking system. To a passer by they look like ordinary doors and cost not much more. Someone referred to the drop in car crime by pointing to the evolution of car security. Why on earth don't people extend that logic to their homes? I'll live with being insensitive if people wake up to how totally open most homes are to even amateur intruders.

There is a way to prevent yourself becoming a target and I've said it on this forum before "Primary Crime Prevention". It's not complicated, you make your property less attractive to a burglar than the property next door or down the street by means of physical deterrents. Be that Alarms / padlocks / CCTV etc.

The crime will not stop because of this, however it will be displaced elsewhere. This might seem slightly selfish but if everyone in this area were to take a few simple precautions, criminals would soon pick on an area which is easier to target.

Ron70

Oh dear! I do wish people would READ the posts before commenting.

RON70: *** There is a way to prevent yourself becoming a target and I've said it on this forum before "Primary Crime Prevention". It's not complicated, you make your property less attractive to a burglar than the property next door or down the street by means of physical deterrents. Be that Alarms / padlocks / CCTV etc. ***

As mentioned a couple of times, the shed is overlooked directly by my front window, in my garden with a security light and was padlocked (with a decent padlock) but I was still targeted.

How do you suggest I could have prevented that? Never leave the house? Sell all my belongings and live in a house without valuables?

worldwiser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Alarms are a waste of time, no one pays the

> slightest attention to them. I have external doors

> set in a concrete frame made predominantly from

> steel with a multipoint locking system. To a

> passer by they look like ordinary doors and cost

> not much more. Someone referred to the drop in car

> crime by pointing to the evolution of car

> security. Why on earth don't people extend that

> logic to their homes? I'll live with being

> insensitive if people wake up to how totally open

> most homes are to even amateur intruders.

So what you're saying is that all I need to do is simply replace the silly wooden front door (and frame) and of course the other three sets of external double doors - with steel multipoint locking ones which are instead set into concrete frames. And possibly replace the 15 sash windows (and frames) with an equally secure concrete and steel system - and I'll be laughing?

Why oh why didn't someone tell me this before?