Blackmailing local traders (give me free stuff or I'll put a bad review on the EDF)l

giggirl

Over the years I've found the Forum a valuable resource for all-things local. A lot of people do.

I'm sure that most Forum users are decent people who add value with their own posts, but unfortunately that's not the whole story. In quick succession I've had two local service-providers tell me that they've been threatened with bad reviews as a bargaining tool.

Today I bumped into a local trader who was upset as he'd just had such a conversation. His company does excellent work and if you were to run a search on here you'd find lots of glowing reviews. He is passionate about his work and wants happy clients. I think the gist of his current dilemma is that if he doesn't throw in some extra work for free, he's going to get a mauling. The client isn't prepared to pay for materials or labour. They know how powerful the Forum is, and are gambling that his reputation is worth more to him than his profit margin.

My advice was to give them a very firm "no". Easy for me to say though isn't it? Not sure how I'd respond if I'd spent years building up a successful company and someone was threatening to take my good reputation away.

This is what happens on Trip Advisor too - my friend built a Riad in Marrakesh and is frequently threatened with bad reviews unless they throw in freebies and discounts. It's disgusting. I'm not sure what the answer is but agree with you as once you give in to blackmail, it won't stop. If it was me, I'd turn down the business (assuming I wasn't desperate for it).

Very true post, discussed exactly the same thing with a business owner about six months ago when I was working on Lordship Lane. Props for raising the issue, which although might not be frequently occurring, is a very lowly and malicious way to get what you want. Threatening a business's reputation is threatening that person's bread and butter. I know for a fact that a certain shop on LL which, although a little bit expensive to the consumer, hasn't made a pounds profit for the owner in about two years. Staff pay, rent, rates bills, cash in stock etc all add up, the owners are not always rolling about in money despite how it may seem. But yeah, seems to be either the same person flexing their online prowess or another clown. I'm sure that all businesses aspire to deliver great customer service, there are very few things that can't be talked out and reasoned in a retail situation so these clowns must really be something special that's all I can say

It's seriously wrong and mistakes can happen anywhere or at any time - even if we look at our own jobs for instance, I'm sure we are not always perfect!

I should hope that people see beyond negative reviews if they do appear to be "off". Some people really don't understand the expense involved in running a business, it's definitely not 9 to 5 either!

After reading Rufflers post about sweetgirl, I had a look - I've never tried Cafe Noodle before, I will this week!!

First say no, then out them if they do. The OP alone gives the builder some foundation. God some people are slime balls tho

I USED to work in the design business, weird things happen to peoples egos and aspirations, specially when they can't afford what they want. I've seen adults in their own homes act appallingly, they turn into power/money crazed egomaniacs

I trusted my gut instinct with customers, it was rarely wrong. Didn't stop me taking on/regretting some clients

But the funniest was a Jewish Lady, originally from New York, I really didn't want the job, so I doubled our quote, it was ridiculous. When I told her she wailed "How much, oh my God, hand me the Prozac" shortly followed by "When can you start"

We recently stayed a couple of nights at a Sussex Hotel which is about a 10 minute drive away from our daughter's home. This was the 3rd time we stayed. In the evening of the first night our bathroom was covered with tiny flies, dropping down dead everywhere and we had to rinse out the bath to have a shower in the morning. My husband mentioned this to the staff and suggested that there was something wrong with the ventaxia in the bathroom. Got back that evening, clear from the smell and cleanliness of the bathroom that someone had tried to sort out the problem. Same thing happened overnight. We were leaving the next day anyway so hubby mentioned the problem again and suggested that it was fixed properly before the next guest. Hotel said that they would like to give us a small refund for our trouble, which hubby accepted. He was astonished that they returned the cost of one night's stay ?72 - had only expected ?20 or so. We will be using the hotel again but had we made a big fuss and public outcry about the flies, I would have been too embarrassed to show my face there again. Sometimes you have to complain, but if done correctly, i8t does not ruin a business.No way would I have demanded a refund or freebee

• Administrator

Trip Advisor has a team of 300 people and an algorithm which track fake posts,complaints, blackmailing etc and we don't have that manpower.

Tell the trader to send me a PM, I'll ban the user, remove all their posts, shame them and help the trader if they need to push charges. The forum is not to be used as a blackmailing negotiation tool. It's the odd 1 or 2 people (out of the 52,000 registered users) who try it on and threatening local businesses with derogatory forum posts to get freebies is not on.

Seabag Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But the funniest was a Jewish Lady, originally

> from New York, I really didn't want the job, so I

> doubled our quote, it was ridiculous. When I told

> her she wailed "How much, oh my God, hand me the

> Prozac" shortly followed by "When can you start"

xxxxxx

What's the fact that she was Jewish got to do with anything?

Sue Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > But the funniest was a Jewish Lady, originally

> > from New York, I really didn't want the job, so

> I

> > doubled our quote, it was ridiculous. When I

> told

> > her she wailed "How much, oh my God, hand me

> the

> > Prozac" shortly followed by "When can you

> start"

>

> xxxxxx

>

> What's the fact that she was Jewish got to do with

> anything?

She played on it Sue, she was very proud of her heritage and comic wit. And she was dead pan funny indeed

Why, what's your point ?

Seabag Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> -----

> > Seabag Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> >

> > > But the funniest was a Jewish Lady,

> originally

> > > from New York, I really didn't want the job,

> so

> > I

> > > doubled our quote, it was ridiculous. When I

> > told

> > > her she wailed "How much, oh my God, hand me

> > the

> > > Prozac" shortly followed by "When can you

> > start"

> >

> > xxxxxx

> >

> > What's the fact that she was Jewish got to do

> with

> > anything?

> She played on it Sue, she was very proud of her

> heritage and comic wit. And she was dead pan funny

> indeed

>

> Why, what's your point ?

xxxxxxx

From your post it wasn't clear (to me) that she was indicating pride in her heritage and comic wit.

I thought you were stereotyping Jewish people.

If you weren't, then I apologise. Please forgive me, I'm currently quite unwell and my brain is mush, so quite likely I missed the subtleties.

It's a long time since I've seen a Woody Allen movie, and I've never been to Manhattan, though not sure how either of those things are particularly relevant. But maybe that's due to the brain mush too :(

Oh, and for those who constantly have a go at me for putting in little crosses to distinguish whose post is whose, the part in bold above is why :))