zebra crossing on Barry Road

shelley 7229

That crossing puts the fear of God into me. I have had cars zoom past through the red light on countless occasions and my children know that the green man accounts for nothing! Why aren't there cameras and speed cameras to stop the aggressive acceleration up Barry Road?

Shelley 7229 I would be more than happy to team up and start a petition. The ONLY thing that deters drivers from speeding is the threat of fines I think. I have been mid way crossing with the green man and been almost killed twice

:(

Hello cazzyr. I know what you mean about crossing at the lights by Barrys shop. Crossing anywhere on Barry Road is a task on its own for adults. Never mind crossing with a buggy and young children.i was thinking about trying to get a crossing near the parade of shops.i have sent an email to our councillor james barber. He replied last night asking for my number. So hopefully we can get advice from him. And im also willing to start a petition to get better traffic control on Barry.Rd.

There is a crossing near the gardens Caff, another opposite the clockhouse and the traffic lights up near Barry's. Where do you want another crossing?. I'm guessing to cross from Roy Brooke's across to clockhouse. Seems excessive to me. Just walk another 50 yards and you can safely get where you want to be. If not take your chances.

shelley 7229 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello cazzyr. I know what you mean about crossing

> at the lights by Barrys shop. Crossing anywhere on

> Barry Road is a task on its own for adults. Never

> mind crossing with a buggy and young children.i

> was thinking about trying to get a crossing near

> the parade of shops.i have sent an email to our

> councillor james barber. He replied last night

> asking for my number. So hopefully we can get

> advice from him. And im also willing to start a

> petition to get better traffic control on

> Barry.Rd.

What exactly is wrong with the crossing at Barry's? I'm sorry I don't get it. Is it the timer on the lights or speed limits?

The zebra crossing needs to be by the parade of shops (near the barbers and pizza shop) its a nightmare waiting for a lull in the traffic to rush across the road with a buggy and other children holding on. Only a handful of drivers will stop to let you cross. I have actually stood there 2 or 3 minutes waiting to cross safely with the children

Can you not just walk a bit further up the road to the traffic lights at Barry's?

shelley 7229 Wrote:

> The zebra crossing needs to be by the parade of

> shops (near the barbers and pizza shop) its a

> nightmare waiting for a lull in the traffic to

> rush across the road with a buggy and other

> children holding on. Only a handful of drivers

> will stop to let you cross. I have actually stood

> there 2 or 3 minutes waiting to cross safely with

> the children

I agree the crossing is needed, i think shelley 7229 means the crossing thats by tyrrell road rather than the clockhouse, a zebra crossing is needed as its a 30mph and barely any cars do that speed, is a bit of paint to much to ask for, my son loves to walk but his little legs wont take him far.

Mmm ,let's think .

If you got off the bus at the stop by Roy Brookes and wanted to cross safely over Barry Rd to the Clock House side you'd walk up the road to the zebra at Barrys shop and the down the road again to the Clock House . Or... get off bus a stop earlier ,cross by The Gardens and walk up to The Clock House .

Neither route 50 yards in my book .

Or ...wait for a break in the traffic ,watching for traffic turning both right and left into Barry Rd ,dash across to the middle ,hover with your push chair and child/ren in the middle of the road and repeat .

The latter is doable and probably the method most people employ . But I can see why people would prefer a zebra to cross this part of Barry Rd . The island in the middle of the road is a bit of a giveaway to how busy this part of Barry Rd is .

So if you want to go to The Clockhouse for a pint you need another crossing to get there. Or if you want to cross over to Clochouse side (from Roy Brooke's) presumably if you are not going for a pint, you will either cross and 1) continue to walk down Peckham Rye toward Peckham? In this case, how about using the Zebra at The Vets, cross over to Park side. Proceed on your way to Gardens Cafe Zebra, and cross back over, if you need to be on the houses side.

2) you are at Roy Brooke's and want to cross, and are not doing what's outlined in 1 above, presumably you are heading up Barry Road, toward Barry's, Boulangerie Jade? In this case walk up to the Traffic Lights at Barry's and cross there.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Mmm ,let's think .

>

> If you got off the bus at the stop by Roy Brookes

> and wanted to cross safely over Barry Rd to the

> Clock House side you'd walk up the road to the

> zebra at Barrys shop and the down the road again

> to the Clock House . Or... get off bus a stop

> earlier ,cross by The Gardens and walk up to The

> Clock House .

> Neither route 50 yards in my book .

>

> Or ...wait for a break in the traffic ,watching

> for traffic turning both right and left into Barry

> Rd ,dash across to the middle ,hover with your

> push chair and child/ren in the middle of the road

> and repeat .

>

> The latter is doable and probably the method most

> people employ . But I can see why people would

> prefer a zebra to cross this part of Barry Rd .

> The island in the middle of the road is a bit of a

> giveaway to how busy this part of Barry Rd is .

OP mentioned Barry Road at Parade of shops. Clockhouse end is what I thought they meant.

ETA: Also this: "The zebra crossing needs to be by the parade of shops (near the barbers and pizza shop) its a nightmare waiting for a lull in the traffic to rush across the road with a buggy and other children holding on"

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> Tyrell Rd and beyond ?