Students - Lordship lane

lparsons

there's a brand new halls of residence just opened at the top of champion hill behind sainsbury's. it looks incredibly plush compared to my old digs.

i think having this and students milling about is great as modern students, with the advent of hyper-inflated tuition fees, tend to be less destructional. i like the student-vibe of university areas.

i'd advise to give new students a break if they're a bit noisy at first, if it persists then have a word.

For God's sake don't call the noise team without at least having a word. You say they seem like nice people, so try just being friendly and reasonable and hopefully they'll return the favour.

Agree with Quids though, ED is not the type of place I'd have wanted to live when I was a student.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Agree with Quids though, ED is not the type of

> place I'd have wanted to live when I was a

> student.

Apparently 20 is the new 40. The youth of today are mild - all cupcakes and laughing gas. East Dulwich is the perfect place for them innit.

Brixton is cheaper than ED nowadays!

This part of town is actually a lot younger and less family oriented than it seems. Almost 20% of people who live here are between 18 and 29. Also, almost half of households are childless!

There are 5,300 households (with 12,000 individual people).

There are 1,600 single person households the vast majority of which are young

We've got another 455 married but no children couples

Then another 615 co-habitating couples with no kids.

That's basically half of ED that don't live with or don't have children.

Perhaps I should open a business to cater for all these free and easy youngsters!

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6501600&c=SE22+9DJ&d=14&e=13&g=6336684&i=1001x1003x1004&o=362&m=0&r=0&s=1410887846455&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2474

http://www.neighbourhood.statistics.gov.uk/dissemination/LeadTableView.do?a=7&b=6501600&c=SE22+9DJ&d=14&e=14&g=6336684&i=1001x1003x1004&o=362&m=0&r=0&s=1410888187830&enc=1&dsFamilyId=2549

???? Wrote:

> ...since when did students want to live in Decent

> Bits?

Since they stopped getting free tuition and grants to spend on books beer and rollies.

I realise a lot of parents are actually footing bills but when I went it was not just free but you got spending money too! Irresponsibility, noise pollution and getting on everyone's tits was par for the course.

Last night our student neighbours had a party with 30 or so. Wasn't too bad at first and we initially decided to tolerate them (freshers week after all). Eventually their party spilled into the garden and front of the house, the rubbish music was turned up. At 1.30am our patience finally ran out, and we went next door and politely told them to pipe down. Apologies were muttered (by the few who were still sober) but it was an hour later before things finally calmed down (in fact, it got nosier before it got quieter).

This morning I found used cigarettes and a half eaten apple in our garden which I promptly threw back.

The previous sets of student neighbours were much quieter but this lot seems a tad unruly. We will likely tolerate their behaviors for the time being, at least until term starts, but in the mean time we've started a log.

I can't wait until they find out that my other half is a course director at their university.

JohnL Wrote:

> I went to KCL when they had halls on Kings Road

> Chelsea. Lots of space too.

>

> Long gone now.

SouthwarK (and I'm sure other boroughs) were pratically giving away places in Tower Blocks under Hard to Let in the 80s! Plus the more adventorous squatted - there used tp be loads of squats up the World'S End end of the Kings Road too John. We just rented slummy flats off the infamous Jewish brothers who used to own 1000s of houses converted into cheap flats in North London in (then) all pretty grotty Kensal Green, west Hampstaed, Queens Park, Tuffnell Park, Chalk Farm, Camden, Hornsey,etc etc

Is part of the problem that you don't like their taste in music? Perhaps your neighbours might think that you like 'rubbish music'! Mind you, it must be very grim indeed to be faced with something as unpleasant as a half eaten apple in your front garden - some of these young people need stringing up.

monkeylite Wrote:

> Last night our student neighbours had a party with

> 30 or so. Wasn't too bad at first and we initially

> decided to tolerate them (freshers week after

> all). Eventually their party spilled into the

> garden and front of the house, the rubbish music

> was turned up. At 1.30am our patience finally ran

> out, and we went next door and politely told them

> to pipe down. Apologies were muttered (by the few

> who were still sober) but it was an hour later

> before things finally calmed down (in fact, it got

> nosier before it got quieter).

>

> This morning I found used cigarettes and a half

> eaten apple in our garden which I promptly threw

> back.

>

> The previous sets of student neighbours were much

> quieter but this lot seems a tad unruly. We will

> likely tolerate their behaviors for the time

> being, at least until term starts, but in the mean

> time we've started a log.

>

> I can't wait until they find out that my other

> half is a course director at their university.

Growlybear

I don't listen to music. But the music being rubbish isn't the biggest problem. It certainly isn't as big a deal as the fact that it was played loudly at 1.30 AM - a fact you seem happy to exclude.

As for the half eaten apple, well, I tend to eat them all, or throw them into my bin (or compost bin) - it's something I do with waste. Not into someone else's back garden, along with their spent cigarettes.

Seeing as you don't seem to mind food being thrown into people's back garden, I would gladly come over to your place the next time I need to empty my food bin. PM me your address and I will sort out the rest.