Southwark Camera Car - triple offender

kford

Parked on double-yellows, obscuring sight-line: 'A double yellow line means that no parking is allowed at any time. Fixed-Penalty Notice (FPN) ?120.' (Southwark website)

Parked with engine running: Regulation 98 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986: 'the engine must be switched off when stationary. FPN.'

Using hand-held device while engine is running: classed as 'driving' FPN ?100 and three penalty points.

No wonder the driver hot-footed it when I took this photo.

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm no fan of these camera cars either, but... none of you have ever pulled up on a double yellow

> line for a couple of seconds to make a phone call or something?

If you did that while leaving the engine running, they can get you for using your mobile while driving AND parking on a double yellow!

Salsaboy Wrote:

> Illegal parking by a camera car whilst in pursuit

> of illegal parking is not an offence. There is

> case law about it somewhere, just can't remember

> where.

I get that to some extent but if they are doing something that is deemed illegal due to it being potentially dangerous e.g using a hand held device with engine running (i.e deemed not to be fully in control of the vehicle) then surely there are only very few situations when that would be justifiable. I suspect this was not the case for southwark camera car driver.

Salsaboy Wrote:

> Illegal parking by a camera car whilst in pursuit

> of illegal parking is not an offence. There is

> case law about it somewhere, just can't remember

> where.

If they're parked causing an obstruction, or in a dangerous position blocking sight-lines, for example, i'd say it is. I'm sure they're allowed to park on single lines, permit bays etc though.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Oh yeah... real dangerous. Lucky nobody was

> killed.

I didn't say it was dangerous but potentially dangerous. There could be all sorts of caveats in attempt to clarify every situation but then the law would become very complex.

We've been here before, several times. Traffic wardens or camera cars parked illegally, caught on camera. Nothing will be done. The council are hardly going to ticket one of their own vehicles.

The OP may possibly have him on a technicality, but complaining about someone pulling up and briefly using their phone with the engine running is trivial nit-picking, in reality it doesn't even warrant a slap on the wrist. Stopping by a junction on a double-yellow is more serious, but even then... what do you actually think Southwark will do? And Tessa Jowell? Seriously?

You are missing my point. I wasn't saying it should or should not be reported. Just querying the case law. If it has been argued to death then why bother contributing to the thread, particularly with sarcastic remarks? Are you in fact a southwark camera car driver?

My point is that a technical infringement isn't necessarily wrong/punishable. And also that council vehicles are not subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us, and there's no point pretending they are.

I'm contributing because to me this just looks like misguided revenge. I'm being sarcastic because it's in my nature. And also because, naturally, I am a southwark camera car driver.

Jeremy Wrote:

> We've been here before, several times. Traffic wardens or camera cars parked illegally, caught on

> camera. Nothing will be done. The council are hardly going to ticket one of their own vehicles.

Which is why I pointed out some of the infringements are police matters. They may not be so accommodating.

he's not quite on the junction - flush with the start of the pavement IMHO.

If he was a few feet back - would be worse.

Jeremy Wrote:

> We've been here before, several times. Traffic

> wardens or camera cars parked illegally, caught on

> camera. Nothing will be done. The council are

> hardly going to ticket one of their own vehicles.

>

> The OP may possibly have him on a technicality,

> but complaining about someone pulling up and

> briefly using their phone with the engine running

> is trivial nit-picking, in reality it doesn't even

> warrant a slap on the wrist. Stopping by a

> junction on a double-yellow is more serious, but

> even then... what do you actually think Southwark

> will do? And Tessa Jowell? Seriously?

JohnL Wrote:

> he's not quite on the junction - flush with the

> start of the pavement IMHO.

>

> If he was a few feet back - would be worse.

>

>

He's blocking a sight-line down fellbrigg road. AND parked across a dropped kerb. There's another infringement and ?120 FPN.

looks like the same guy who spends his weekends on double yellow lines in Dulwich village - many pix have been taken of him - he refuses to speak to anyone who challenges him - is an arrogant man who refuses to believe he does not have the right to comply with the law - needs to lose his job! parking on double yellow lines to get people who may do the same- it is outrageous -