Parking fine near Peckham Rye Park.

KatieJ

Hi

I took my kids to the circus on Monday, had to drive but the car park was full so I parked on Strakers road along with lots of other cars. It's quite a narrow road so I went slightly up onto the kerb (which is completely flat so not 'obviously' a pavement) - I thought It would ensure anyone with a wider car could still get past.

I came back 2 hours later and had a ?130 parking fine. None of the other cars had one - I suppose as they weren't on the kerb. I asked a guy from British Military Fitness if he sees it a lot as he always parks there and he said yes - and peaople appeal but he wasn't sure if anyone had one. I just wondered if anyone had experienced this and won and appeal. There are no signs at all anywhere on the road so Its fine to park on. Is it just common knowledge that you get a ticket if part of your wheel is touching the kerb ?

I had got cheap Circus tickets though Groupon but it turned into a very expensive trip!

In London in general it is an offence to park on a kerb, no matter how much of your wheel is on it, unless there are specific signs showing that you are allowed to park there. You could try and appeal based on the fact that the delineation between the road and the pavement is uncertain, if there is not a noticeable difference. Take photos and gather evidence to support your case.

I've known a number of people who have got PCNs for parking on the pavement on Straker Road, but I'm afraid I've never known anyone to get a ticket cancelled - it's very clear in the Highway Code that you must not park partly or wholly on the pavement in London unless signs say otherwise.

Hi

Thanks all for the replies and the useful information. I may pop down there and have a look just to see if it's worth appealing or if anything can be done. I know it's considered a road like any other but somehow feels a bit different. Might be worth a go. Either way I shall bear in mind next time as I am sure I have parked like that before due to it being quite narrow. Lesson learnt!

Does anyone know what the situation is on college road? Everyone parks slightly up on the pavement there when going to the DC sports club. I've wondered a few times if I'll come out to find a ticket but don't want to park against the curb and have my car sticking out way past everyone elses!

I'm sure there was a thread on here before about someone else who got a ticket parking the same way on strakers road

Lambeth Council have a more rate-payer friendly approach.

They have instructed wardens that vehicle must be more than one third on the pavement.

The Hitlerite enforcement of Parking became an election issue some years ago and the Labour Party promised reform.

Southwark Council be warned!

Its a shame as you were only trying to be helpful.

There is a road in Sydenham where I had the same problem. The road was so narrow that if two cars parked opposite each other then traffic would struggle to squeeze past, certainly larger vehicles wouldn't stand a chance.

So I done as you did, wheels on pavement, and got done. The pavement in fact was very wide on both sides.

I appealed but to no avail.

However a Freedom of Information request revealed that 17 others had the same fine, for the same offence, on the same road in the space of 10 months!!

So the council weren't exactly tackling the problem, just collecting the money.

Funny thing, someone eventually saw the light and now the road allows parking on the footpath.

Too late for me and 17 others now though....!

hpsaucy I agree, but I have come accross many examples where parking on the kerb is permitted on certain roads, yet you could just about squeeze a buggy through between the car and the pavement, let alone a wheelchair!

I'ts a shame with all the money councils make from PCN's, they cant find the resources every now and again to review some of the ridiculous outdated parking restrictions they have in place.

Parking restrictions aren't just about whether or not the pavement is wide enough for buggies and wheelchairs; it's a matter of whether the pavement can take the loading of a loaded car/van. Most pedestrian pavements can't take the wheel loading, partly because of the general construction but also because of the depth of what's underneath them (cables/pipes etc.

Seems a little coincidental that there just happens to be a traffic warden on hand in area where there are generally no parking restrictions at a time when the council know there will be heavy traffic for an event one assumes they have licenced?

One wonders if they have built this into the revenue projections?

There were Tannoy announcements during the Peckham Rye Fair, warning that cars were being targeted. It's a cash cow for Southwark, like targeting outside Belair Park when Carter's Steam Fair is on. In that instance parking on the pavement is permitted but only on weekdays, so a carload of wardens duly arrived on the Saturday and ticketed the whole road.

"Parking restrictions aren't just about whether or not the pavement is wide enough for buggies and wheelchairs; it's a matter of whether the pavement can take the loading of a loaded car/van. Most pedestrian pavements can't take the wheel loading, partly because of the general construction but also because of the depth of what's underneath them (cables/pipes etc."

to be fair they can't have it both ways, the pavements can't take the weight of humans walking on them either - check Lordship Lane for an example.