motorbike thieves operating in East Dulwich

gemmac29

Please be aware of motorbike thieves operating in East Dulwich. My husband had his sports bike stolen from the front of our house last night and police have advised there has been a spate of thefts in the area.

His bike had two alarmed locks on it so they must have somehow disabled them and loaded it onto a van to get it away. If anyone sees a blue Yamaha R1 registration BX04 GRF or is offered it to buy please contact me.

Best wishes

Gemma

So sorry to hear of this and glad you called the police. I would also advise Motorcycle Action Group if he is a member. Having told the police I would also consider just 'reminding' the Safer Neighbourhood Team for your area so they can keep a look out and alert other bikers they see in the area. Bike shops do checks on bikes they're offered for sale these days and also eBay takes the registration number first and appear now to be linked to DVLA.

My experience

First time bike was dragged along the street and D-lock smashed in but held..

Second time Bike on the street they took the front wheel ( always easy to replace those )

so sorted out big locks for both wheels and a cover

Third time they lifted the whole bike onto a van

New Bike new ground lock Almax lock for back and d-lock for front with Cover on

Fourth time Bike gets lifted from parking bay in lower Regent Street

two big locks on bike and CCTV all around did not stop them..

So safe at home with ground anchor and getting CCTV sorted soon ( fingers crossed )

may look into data-tag or tracker for bike

yes it's getting me down...

I'm not sure that is the best option. It looks bluetooth based and is dependent on other modules coming to within 100m of the broadcast source. Therefore if the tracker is located more than 100m away from another user it is useless, this would also depend on if the user has Bluetooth activated on their smart phone at the time. Ok for finding keys but not to establish a nationwide search radius as it is the phone that reports the location not the tracker.

An ideal tracker would be self contained, capable of geo fencing, have anti jam technology - even trigger if an attempted jam takes place, have an interface with the immobilizer, be capable of bi-directional communication, have GPS, GPRS, GSM and VHF, The vendor would have a dedicated support center that works in conjunction with a police force and port authorities.

I'm looking at biketrac or something similar - Ultimately you want both thatcham cat6&7 - but these systems are very expensive.

This link shows some of the trackers available for bikes [http://www.elitemotorcycleservices.co.uk/trackingmenu.html]

I was the chap who woke up to my bike being angle grinded at 12:15am last wk. The noise woke me up and even though a man said he saw it happening... wasn't sure what was happening and they just got away. CCTV from the Palmerston couldn't capture anything in concrete. Police were informed but nothing from it either. Sorry to hear about other bikes. I've had 2 stolen in various London destinations over the years.

I have bought more chains and alarmed disc locks but am wiery of another visit sometime!! My bike is alarmed and has an immobiliser but that wouldn't stop the little retards I'm sure.

It's a pity there's no safer place or if there are any bikers that have a lock-up or garage that would be willing to share a space.

I'd be certainly interested if somebody did in the east dulwich area.

It's a frustrating thing that makes you sleep badly, push insurance through the roof and infuriate bikers through the nose!

I currently have 5 thick chains, Xena steel U bar lock, Xena 120db disc lock to accompany the bike's immobilser & alarm on mine! It's chained at 2 separate fixed points that cycle bikes get locked too and I'm still paranoid about the little turds returning!

I wouldn't mind a ground anchor put in the road outside mine too!

Am very impressed with the long motorcycle parking bay at the rear of Kings College Hospital. There are metal rings you can loop your chain or D-lock through. Clearly a biker was involved at the parking design department! Some councils have this too, to be fair, though even the barrier section by the bike parks (like the one at North Cross Road, which infuriatingly - as the road is closed to traffic on a Saturday so is the only bike park in the area!) allows you to lock the bike to the barrier. (For those that care - locking the bike to something means a van can't come along and lift bike away.) It is good to lock-to-lock too but you may find you have looped your lock through the lock of an idiot who does not realise that what you have done is a considerate thing, and get angry!

Hi polla2256,

No you can't legally attached a floor anchor to thep ublci highway. These are funded by our East Dulwich ward crime prevention fund for use on private property.

Creating motor bike parking areas on residential streets. I'm happy to experiment with this.

IF a resident biker wants to apply to have such a zone set-up outside thier home on the street in East Dulwich ward please get in touch with me.