help needed with son's work experience?

shallotlover

Hi all,

My son is in year 10 at forest hill boys school and we have been advised by them to find a work experience placement for him for 8th- 19th December 2014.

We have until October 10th to find our own placement.

I have emailed and called so many places but they all say that they can not help.

Has anyone else had this problem or any advice on what I could do next.

Thank you in advance

It would probably be helpful if you said what interests your son has and the type of business sector he would like to gain his work experience in, then any interested local businesses could contact you.

I would expect that if you are unable to find a work placement for your son the school will place him into something, which may not fit in with his interests/ what he would like to gain his work experience in.

You could try approaching one of the local business "clubs" who meet up to see if they can help, take a look in the publications SEMagazines.co.uk, Around Dulwich, Residential/Living South, possibly Southwark Council or a local charity organisation, one of the many local sports/golf clubs (along Dulwich Common) or Crystal Palace Sports Centre.

East Dulwich/Forest Hill is full of local businesses, who just maybe willing to take on an extra pair of hands for 10 or so days.

Thank you these are both very helpful.

My son's interest include music I.e (recording studio)

Art and design

Plumbing

motorbike interest

Any shop work.

I will give barclays bank a call and yes the school have to provide work experience if we do not find any but just don't want my son ending up with something he really dislikes.

Had the same problem earlier this summer for my year 10. The school was hopeless. When I pointed out the insurance issue the teacher responded that lots of schools do it in year 10 and he had no contacts ! My older kids did their WE after GCSEs in Year 11 and so had a lot more choices. (Also they were also more mature by then and approached organisations directly, Y10 son had no idea how to get started - schools rely on parents to organise !)

At last minute I asked in local chemist when I was having passport photos done. They couldn't take him as they already had someone coming but they called another chemist who took him for a week at very short notice. Although he has no specific interest in Pharmacy or Retail I think he learnt about routine, issues facing some of the customers and something of retail. The pharmacist said he can put him down as a referee for if he looks for part time job. All in all a worthwhile experience despite my grumbling.

It is worth asking in the ED shops. Good luck!

This thread reminds me of my work experience in a shop in kentish town, selling drum kits. Thought it was going to be great, turned out to be appaling. The full timers were complete twats. In hindsight I realise they were just bitter about not quite making it as musicians.