Request for info - car crashed into my house

celmar

Hi,

I have never used the forum before, so I've maybe put this request in the wrong section. I live locally (Nunhead) and had something terrible happen last Saturday to my house. A car at 4am on Saturday morning crashed into the side of my house (corner of Sartor & Borland Rd SE15) and drove off without stopping. They have caused massive damage throughout the house. I have an eye witness who saw this happen. A dark (maybe grey) car reversed at a great force into the side of my house, there was a man and woman in the car. The woman got out, looked at the damage and then jumped back in the car and their drove off.

Did anyone see a dark car (maybe grey and maybe a kind of Audi/BWM style car), driving around 4-5am around Nunhead or Peckham, they zoomed off down Borland Road, going down either Limesford Rd or Inverton Rd. If anyone did see or hear anything AT ALL please get in contact. Or even if you see a car matching that description with bad rear damage in the neighbourhood.

Thank you if you can help!

I suppose technically that the damage to your house is a civil injury rather than a criminal one unless there was intent but you'd still expect the police to show some interest.

I'd argue that anyone driving so recklessly as to structurally damage a property must be committing the offence of dangerous driving... or at the very least, driving without care and attention which are criminal.

I'm really sorry for you though since it must have been a massive shock. My only suggestions are to see whether there are any all night garages or shops nearby that might have CCTV. And to see if there are any bodywork shops in the area - while it's likely to have been nicked and abandoned, there's a small chance that it belonged to the driver and he's taken it in for repair somewhere?

I had a similar but not so serious incident when a car reversed into the front of my house. The house was still habitable and it happened during the day when there were plenty of witnesses, some of whom got the number plate and others who identified him as a workman working near by. The police were great though; they interviewed the neighbours who'd seen it happen and the guy was eventually found guilty of leaving the scene of an accident.

The insurance did take a while to sort out, but everything was eventually put right. I do hope you can get a similar positive resolution; but yes, in the meantime go back to the police and chase them up. And your insurers should provide you with alternative accommodation until they've sorted out the repairs.

Hi Cellmar,Sorry for the shocking experience you have had. I've got your email and I'll get back in touch with you. Your insurer should be sorting out temporary accommodation for you and hopefully the survey will give weight to your police report and they will take more notice (if not, I'll badger them, it seems ridiculous particularly as you have a witness).

Renata