Summer in east Dulwich?

pay a visit to Puffin Crafts maybe?

more seriously - it depends on who you are with and what you fancy. Outdoors you can go to the Horniman Gardens, the Dulwich & Sudenham woods, Peckham Rye Park OR Dulwich Park.

You could sit outside a caf? and people watch?

You could head to the velodrome near the village on the Herne Hill side and cycle. Tennis and Bowling also available in Dulwich Park

A teeny bit further at Herne Hill is Brockwell Lido which would be most pleasant on a day like today

umm that's all for now off the top of my head. I;m sure others will think of many more

1) Go to a school fair or fete with kids if you have them.

2) Sit under a tree at Goose Green and have a pinic with stuff bought from one of the local shops/market stalls

3) Enjoy sitting outdoors at the lovely Peckham Rye Cafe.

4) Amble along Northcross Road Market

5) Go down to Bellenden on a Saturday and visit the cake shop, Review bookstore and round off with a coffee at Peititou!

Dear Beth, is it true that the cakes are delicious in the cake shop? How much do they cost? Someone told me the other day that they cost ?25 a cake, but I know the ingredients are organic so obviously the makers must cover their costs.

LOL, SteveT. No I am assured it was ?25 a cake by the very lady, Beth's friend, who makes them. I have to admit at being rather stunned at the cost, but apparently they are selling like hot cakes. I am sure they are very nice.

They are very yummy indeed! She sells various cakes (I love the gooey chocolate) and I think they are different prices for different cakes but I don't know the price list for whole cakes as I tend to buy them by the slice mainly. I think it's pretty standard pricing for handmade (not factory made) cakes - I bought a cake from Konitor and Cook a couple of years ago and it was about ?25. You can also get slices of Anna's cakes at the Peckham Rye Cafe if you want to try them out before buying a whole one!

It's not just the cost of the ingredients, there is the time and energy involved in making the cake and the fact that you are not making it yourself.

It always amazes me when people expect to receive a product or service, that obviously takes time and skill, for nothing. ?25 sounds reasonable to me and if it's too much then make it yourself.

I make the most fabulous Carrot Cake - indeed am thinking of making one for the September Peckham Rye fete so it can be sold in the cafe if they'll have it (probably EU regulations preventing me!). But I reckon the prices mentioned above are about fair for the time and good ingredients and so on taken.

Talking of Summer in East Dulwich, do any of you have any experience or knowledge of local hotels / motels for visitors? Or is this a new thread?

Hello all,

It's me Anna from Let Them Eat Cake at 157 Bellenden Road (open Saturdays 10 - 4pm as well as taking orders through the week). Normally, most cakes I sell are in the area of ?16 per cake - except when I am asked to do special orders which require the cakes to be larger, be more personalised or decorative, etc. If anyone is interested, please email me at [email protected] and I'll send you the price list with the cakes I make. Or pop into the shop on a Saturday! We also sell cake by the slice, homemade salads and organic bread.

Thank you very much!

Anna

Let Them Eat Cake

At 1dea5pac7

157 Bellenden Road

[email protected]

Back on topic, a nice localish way to spend a Sunday would be at the gypsy hill tavern for the open mic. If it's sunny they do it outdoors in the garden, and a lovely day it is too!

Worth calling before to check it's on though. They did one yesterday, which I missed unfortunately, but don't think it's every week...

• 2 months later...

Yet again Margot,

Bah Humbug! (see ED school thread for more of Margot's positivity.)

Boy, you really don't like what we've got in ED do you?

SW

P.s With Kids - paddling in the stream in Peckham Rye and a picnic. Picking Blackberries in the cricket fields off the south circular. Without kids - any pub with tables outside people watching.