Where to go after East Dulwich?

ednewmy

I know this may not be exactly the right place for this, but I figure there are enough people who post on here, some of whom may be ex-residents who've moved but still hang around on the forums.

I've been fortunate to live in a decent house on a low rent just off Lordship Lane for the last 3 years or so, I love it here and feel pretty spoiled living cheaply in a nice house so close to shops/transport etc, but the time has come when I'm consideirng buying and I simply cannot afford to buy in this area.

I'm wondering if there are any ex-residents, or even current residents who might have recommendations of areas to look at? Inevitably it'll mean going further out, or to slightly less, er, pleasant, areas than ED, but I accept that.

Currently I've been thinking of Forest Gate in East London - It's affordable enough, and I feel it has potential for improvement with the coming of crossrail, the housing stock are mostly solid Victorian terraces, but it does at present feel significantly more down at heel than round here.

Staying SE, I've considered maybe Penge/Anerley as it seems reasonably affordable (though my brother's flat in Anerley more than doubled in price over the last 5 years...good news for him, horrendous news for anyone buying). I have also considered around Lewisham, but haven't done nearly as much research about there.

Anyway, all views and suggestions are welcome!

I recently moved to Sydenham after a number of years in ED. Its highly recommended.

Really nice area: plenty of nice parks, a more useful high street, friendly locals and better transport than ED (faster and more regular commute to work, despite being further out).

And still close to good schools in the area.

I don't miss ED at all after moving here. ED is very overrated.

NewDad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> better transport than ED (faster and more regular commute

> to work, despite being further out).

>

> And still close to good schools in the area.

>

> I don't miss ED at all after moving here. ED is

> very overrated.

I thought Sydenham was 20 mins or so into London Bridge? Is there are faster train into another station?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to write with suggestions - I really really appreciate it. Nothing quite like hearing from people who actually live somewhere, or know a little more about somewhere than I do to give more to these places than just a name and my vague idea of what it might be like.

Sydenham, Catford and Gipsy Hill now all on the list of possibilities. Have researched Honor Oak before and in general it seemed a bit pricy? Perhaps time to revisit and see...

"close to good schools in the area." I should probably mention that this is not really a consideration given that I am a.) single b.) gay. But I appreciate the thought! I guess not being at all concenred about that kind of keeps the options more open too.

I've just done the exact thing you describe, nearly 3 years renting in ED and then moved... to Forest Gate.

It's not really sketchy. Admittedly, large parts of it are a bit run down, but the housing stock is pretty good. we've got a small weekly market, a couple of independent coffee shops, a decent pub (same people as EDT) and a craft beer cafe that knocks the spots off anything similar in ED. However, that's about it. We are lacking in restaurants. And if you want shops selling assorted twee knick knacks and birds, you'll be lacking.

But on the up side, you've got Wanstead a ten minute bus ride away, which is basically ED-lite and has a load of nice pubs/restaurants.

I'd definitely take a look around FG, as with Crossrail coming soonish the area is probably only going to go one way. Ideally you want to be North of the train tracks, or in the couple of streets immediately to the South.

Our daughter went to Orpington - various styles of property with wide range of property prices. Area around Orpington station, Tubbenden Lane very nice. All depends really where you work and mode of travel.

Parts of Beckenham are equally affordable.

I lived in Sydenham for 8 years, and really like it there, but it is getting more and more expensive. Moved to Penge in Feb this year, and am genuinely loving it. It's a bit rough around the edges at the moment, but it really feels as though it's an area that's changing. I'd say get in whilst you can still afford it because I do believe the next 5-10 years will see a lot of change.

I'm from East Dulwich, so remember it when it was NOTHING like it is now. Penge feels like ED did at the turn of the century.

I work for Newham, and know the whole borough well. Forest Gate does have some beautiful housing, but I wouldn't touch it with a barge poll. Or anywhere else in the borough to be honest.

But that might be because I'm an SE London boy born and bred, and I just prefer it to any other part of London because it's what I know best.

Parts of Catford are nice, but that feels a bit further away. What I like about Penge is that it still feels (to me) like the same "part" of London as Sydenham / CP / Forest Hill and Dulwich. (don't forget that CP basically was Penge until they shoved that big green house on Penge Common ;-) )

Thanks again everyone for the input.

Work at the moment is at North Greenwich, so Sydenham would be good were it near to the overground station, likewise Penge if it were within a decent range of Penge West or Anerley. Catford wouldn't be too bad either looking at it. And in terms of getting about in general, I don't own a car so public transport is important.

Budget is probably around 250-300, with maybe a bit of wiggle room on the top end. 2-3 beds. There is stuff around, some grotty, some pleasant. I would need to rent out the spare bedroom(s) for the time being, so they all need to be of a reasonable size.

Otta - is there anything about Newham that particularly puts you off? I am not a SE London boy, though I do like it, and my brother and his family live in Beckenham, so I have ties here. East does have a pretty different feel and is an unknown quantity aside from a couple of nights spent at a friend's house in Wanstead (which did seem nice) a few years back.

ednewmy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks again everyone for the input.

>

> Work at the moment is at North Greenwich, so

> Sydenham would be good were it near to the

> overground station, likewise Penge if it were

> within a decent range of Penge West or Anerley.

> Catford wouldn't be too bad either looking at it.

> And in terms of getting about in general, I don't

> own a car so public transport is important.

I don't drive either, so know exactly where you're coming from. I actually tend to jump on a 176 for 5 minutes and go to Sydenham as there are more trains. But coming back I'll go to Penge West (who wants to get a bus at the end of their journey)

> Budget is probably around 250-300, with maybe a

> bit of wiggle room on the top end. 2-3 beds. There

> is stuff around, some grotty, some pleasant. I

> would need to rent out the spare bedroom(s) for

> the time being, so they all need to be of a

> reasonable size.

>

> Otta - is there anything about Newham that

> particularly puts you off? I am not a SE London

> boy, though I do like it, and my brother and his

> family live in Beckenham, so I have ties here.

> East does have a pretty different feel and is an

> unknown quantity aside from a couple of nights

> spent at a friend's house in Wanstead (which did

> seem nice) a few years back.

Probably just that I work there (Newham), and as such I tend to see the grottier side of the place. But it's just not a borough that appeals to me as somewhere to live at all. If I was forced to go that way, I think Forest Gate / Wansted area is the pick of the bunch.

Again though, SE London feels like home to me. Fpor me it feels completely different to any other part, including SW *spits*. So I admit my opinion will be biased.

I think Forest Gate is improving... you could possibly say it is to Wanstead what Peckham/Nunhead are to ED. But while Wanstead is nice, it feels very suburban to me... not really like London. Good transport, though.

Apparently Walthamstow is on-the-up, filling up with former Hackney and Stoke Newington residents who can't afford a house in their old stomping ground. But still far, far cheaper than round here.