Trendy W.I in East Dulwich?

Hi,

I read an article this weekend about a young and trendy Women's Institute group in Islington and wondered if there is anything similar that exists in East Dulwich. I like the idea of swapping baking recipes, learning new skills, crafts, talking about fashion etc. I am 27 and live in East Dulwich, but work full time so it would need to be an evening thing. Basically looking for an evening group in the area that I could go to once a week, I thought about a reading group too. Anyway would love to know if anything of this type exists - East Dulwich is the perfect area for some creative flair.

Katie

And she's back.....

Katiesa - there is one for Dulwich;

Kingswood Dulwich WI (Kent West Kent Federation): St Margaret Clitheroe Church Hall, Dulwich Wood Park, Dulwich SE21; 3rd Wed, 10.00am

Hmmm. What's it like? Does anyone know about it or have friends that go? It doesn't sound very 'Islingtony', and it is a morning group which makes it a problem for worker bees!

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

Hi Katie and Spymum

A WI in ED that talks about classic things like cooking but also things like fashion and shopping sounds good!! I also really like the idea of being able to try new crafts. Something in the evening would be great. A reading group doesn't appeal to me as much as its a narrow focus and I like the idea of a wide range of things to do and discuss. Good idea Katie!

There is one in West Dulwich called Kingswood Dulwich WI - according to www.womens-institute.org.uk. Not very convenient for ED - I would like something easy to walk to rather than having to get in the car. Does anyone know how I can create a link to the website?

I'll try anything once! I seriously would like to do some art/crafts classes though. There's some at Dulwich Picture Gallery but that's during the day. There are also art classes at Horniman Museum but its on a Saturday morning and I'm always busy on Saturdays. Anyone know of anything on in the evenings around Dulwich/surrounding areas?

Snowboarder, their website does look cool.

And BawdyNan, surely you can like food, chat and style without being a 'surrendered wife'! Ye Gods, the very thought! Journos India Knight and Caitlin Moran like cakes, chat and fashion - they are not 'surrendered' or Stepfordy' in any way - life doesn't have to be deep and serious all the time!

The WI was a bit 60ish and blue-rinsey but the newer London ones are young and fun.

And Huguenot - if there is ever a trendy WI in East Dulwich I am sure that your shopping+cake appreciating self would be more than welcome!! :)

spymum

(Blog: Posh Mum)

actually this sounds like a good idea (I've had a look at their website - pole dancing lessons?????) anyway, it could also include really useful stuff like proper painting and decorating tips, small scale plastering and filling - save us having to get a man in who would rip us off!! lets face it, with all these crumbling victorian terraces we need all the help we can get.

Hi - back again - I will drop the N1 crew an email and ask them how they got started. I was thinking that somethign like this might work well if run by some of the people who put together the local magazines - like SE22 and Living South - are any of you guys on this forum? The N1 W.I sound really set up with membership fees fro the year and loads of interesting subjects covered etc... the trouble is finding someone who has the time to run it and out it all together - but E.D is crying out for this I think.

After admiring the forum from afar for quite a while, this is the first time I've posted a message. But a blue-rinse-free WI sounds like such a fabulous idea that I couldn't resist chipping in any longer. I also have a very chic new cakestand that's in danger of gathering dust in my cupboard. If only I knew how to bake perfect buns...

I'm also a lurker who has been tempted out of the darkness with the promise of perfect buns and learning how to knit. If anyone organises such a thing...I would be up for it! Again I work fulltime so evenings are preferable for me.