What's happening to old ED police station?

dwatkins

Still supposed to be a Harris primary school, although the admin staff at Harris told us via email it would not now open until january 2016 rather than sep 2015 as originally planned... Not sure why the start of the build is slipping as it was supposed to have started in august (as far as I know)

All, from school builds I've been involved with, timetable "slippage" stems from the education funding agency applying wholly unrealistic budgets for developments. 1 of the Contractors I'm aware has walked away from a batch of schools because they would make a loss delivering them. This may be a cause here. Equally a very tight site which will bring a higher number of challenges that will need to be considered before works progress.

Curmudgeon Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you? I think it's an odd place for a primary

> school...but needs must I suppose

>

> Are they knocking the whole building down and

> starting again?

No odder than Goose Green site. I don't imagine that the current building would be at all suitable for a primary school.

Wednesday 22 October 3pm-9pm a public exhibition is being held of what is planned for the former East Dulwich Police station at Christ Church, 263 Barry Road (close to the junction with Lordship Lane.

Harris people will be there but also their architects and builders. GSS Architecture, Farrans and Lambert Smith Hampton.

They will add the proposed details to their website 24 October after the public consultation.

Rough estimate based on Google Maps shows Goose Green School has site area of about 2,500m2, which is broadly same size as Heber. For the police station Knight Frank's sale document has it as 0.186 hectares ~ 1,860m2.

http://www.inst.knightfrank.com/public/fetch/5490

Needs must though it is clearly a tight site. Perhaps a clever architect can make it work - play area on roof?

http://marylebonejournal.com/space/state-of-play

The photos of the schools on this site show low-level schools with ample acreage for many classrooms on a single floor, I would have thought that the ED school would need to be several storeys high to accommodate all the pupils, especially as it is on a tight site.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> hmmm, not hugely insipiring:

> http://www.gssarchitecture.com/?page_id=2549

Given the many great schools which this country has seen built over the past decade and the apparent complexity of this site, i had hoped for a creative solution which would propose a lasting, inspiring piece of architecture for the area and pupils alike.

Alas this is an exceedingly dull building, unresponsive to the area, devoid of any substance, already looks terribly dated and is devoid of any joy. It has the aura of something designed by a first year interior architecture student.

I don't ever remember encountering a building which successful used differing render colours to activate a facade. At least a brick-clad building would be more appropriate to the area, weather better over time, provide a sense of permanence and have the potential to command some respect as a local civic building of note.

A single external space for kids aged from year 1 to 6 looks less than ideal for anyone. Could some of the many upper roofs at set-backs not be assigned to classrooms and utilised as external spaces?

This site was always going to be challenging and requires a creative practice to produce a proposal which is fit for purpose, deals with the main road and resi neighbours alike, whilst providing a rich learning environment for all.

I fear my suspicions have been confirmed that GSS are not that practice.