Fireworks going off in Bellenden/Oglander/Copleston area

Mustard

Anyone else hear these going off randomly sometimes, but quite often at this time of the year and continuing until Christmas time. Last week they went off at about 2 am. Sometimes they go off for what seems like hours at a time. Can anything be done about this?

I too wish there could be more control about this. Random, unexpected bangs are annoying but where pets are concerned the effects can be immense. At least with organised events you can prepare and make sure pets are kept in. You also hope that those who want to do fireworks in the back garden have the decency to alert neighbours well in advance.

IMHO the types on sale seem to get louder and louder- surely the delight us in the visual aspect, not to make the loudest noise possible?

I heard a couple go off last night, but they seemed to be more distant. I don't think keeping pets in solves the problem as they can be clearly heard inside the house. My dog is petrified of them, and the loud bangs also make me jump. It's the relentlessness of the noise that is so disturbing. Diwali runs into Bonfire Night(s) which appears to go on for weeks near me. Is it only organised fireworks that are lawful? If you also have small children, it can't be very pleasant.

Mustard, if your dog is scared of the noise then check out the Dog's Trust website on guidance around fireworks.It is too late now but, if you haven't already then buy a sound desensitisation CD- this will come with instructions on how to use it to counter condition your dog to fireworks noises.

Many dogs are also scared by the lights and flashes and the combination of noise and light can cause the pet to panic and run. If kept inside you can use curtains, bright lights and TV/radio noise to reduce the impact. Making your dog a covered den in which he can hide if he chooses, can also help. Finally, for very bad sufferers the vet can prescribe medication.

It us clear that all this requires thought and planning and that us why people should alert others in the area before letting off fireworks and I would prefer for every event to require a licence- but that us because I have seen the severe and long term behaviour problems that some dogs develop after exposure to firework noises.

Hi Mustard, some dogs appear to be more prone to developing serious sound phobias than others and it becomes fear of fear. I feel for you. People need to get a better understanding of how much pets, and by association their owners, suffer as a result of unrelenting firework mania. I really think it should be controlled. I have even been made to jump when some have gone in the early hours...2am...why?

• 4 weeks later...

Mustard Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why on a Saturday that isn't even Bonfire Night?

Because it's the nearest Saturday to the 5th?

> I have reported it.

To the council? Loud bangs on 'Fireworks Night'?

jctg Wrote:

> Mustard Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Why on a Saturday that isn't even Bonfire Night?

>

>

> Because it's the nearest Saturday to the 5th?

>

> > I have reported it.

>

> To the council? Loud bangs on 'Fireworks Night'?

Yes, that's right, I reported it to the council. More than 4 hours of noisy fireworks in nearby back gardens isn't acceptable behaviour. An orchestrated fireworks display doesn't last that long. Lots of 'official' displays happened on the 5th.

Mustard, I have a hound too and he's scared shitless by the fireworks. Taking him for a walk during evenings the last week or so he's been very afraid when the pops and cracks happen.

There's some good advice on this thread, but calling the council I'm afraid is the least effective action you can take.

This is what happens this time of year in built-up areas, year-in, year-out.

Even though I've got a dog, I got him knowing the environment I'm living in. It's loads of cuddles and a bone for him during evenings.

KK, if he'll gnaw a bone while fireworks are going off then there is a good chance you could desensitise him next year. Food and the reaction to it is a good indicator of how scared the dog is. Refusal of a bone would mean the dog is terrified.

I am coming across more and more people with traumatised pets. Occasional fireworks are ok but the current situation has gone way beyond that and there can be absolutely no excuse for letting fireworks off after 12 pm.

Mustard Wrote:

> More than 4 hours of noisy fireworks in nearby

> back gardens isn't acceptable behaviour.

Yes, but it's not 4 hours from one address. And it's legal to set off fireworks up to 11pm. What do you expect the council to do? And, anyway, it's not like fireworks are some 'new' thing.

Mustard Wrote:

> Lots of very loud frightening fireworks going off

> tonight in this area, starting from about 6 pm.

> Why on a Saturday that isn't even Bonfire Night?

> I have reported it. Anyone else bothered by them?

Schools open in the week probably - we did it on the 5th come what may :)

northlondoner Wrote:

> Mustard Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I have lived in other parts of London, all

> built

> > up areas, and was never subjected to this kind

> of

> > onslaught before.

> > Some people are even setting them off in the

> > street, which is illegal.

>

> Wow. Get a grip.

Get a grip on what exactly? Yes, letting fireworks off in the street is illegal, as it is a public place.

Jenayr Wrote:

> I live in Copleston Rd and the last week has been

> a nightmare, it's been continuous. It's driving me

> loopy!

Glad you agree. They have just started again near me. It's unbearable.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Mustard, I have a hound too and he's scared

> shitless by the fireworks. Taking him for a walk

> during evenings the last week or so he's been very

> afraid when the pops and cracks happen.

> There's some good advice on this thread, but

> calling the council I'm afraid is the least

> effective action you can take.

> This is what happens this time of year in built-up

> areas, year-in, year-out.

> Even though I've got a dog, I got him knowing the

> environment I'm living in. It's loads of cuddles

> and a bone for him during evenings.

You are not supposed to give your dog loads of cuddles when they are scared of noises, even if you want to. You are supposed to act calm, like it's an ordinary occurrence.

I believe you haven't had your dog very long.

My dog will not eat anything when she is stressed and petrified.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Why don't you email the environmental health

> officer for Southwark? They won't do anything

> about it if no one complains. Or post a message on

> James Barber's thread asking his help.

I reported it yesterday to EH, left my number, and didn't hear anything. If you look at the law on fireworks, apparently they could go off in gardens all day and night after 7 am until 11 pm or 12 am Bonfire Night every day of the year. And, 1 am on Diwali, NYE, and Chinese New Year. The law needs to be changed for built up areas.