Fenton Walsh - that dreadful assistant has gone

I'm assuming that 'dreadful' is a universal assessment, since everyone I've ever spoken to who's been in that shop said much the same and swore to never go in there again if she was on duty ... you know the one? Short black bob, pale skin, glasses, annoying inflexion? Well, she's gone and the owners are mortified and apologetic that she engendered so much aggro without their knowledge ... so I promised to spread the word that she's gone-ski.

So I went in there today, had a pleasant shopping experience, chatted with the lovely northern owner and bought 2 gorgeous tops. Oh, did I mention they are having a sale? Up to 50% off, lots of nice stuff ...

She was terribly pushy, wasn't she... I always thought she was the owner.

Fenton Walsh is a really lovely clothes shop on Bellenden Road. Stocks quirky and rather original items. Prices vary from "Ouch" to "Reasonable".

The annoying inflection always suggested to me that she had stopped herself in the middle of a sentence - as if a bitchy comment was hiding underneath. But then I'm always intimidated by small boutiques.

does sue really not know what an annoying inflexion is or is she just objecting to my Americanized spelling?

yes, belle - exactly like stopping herself in mid-sentence, ha ha, that's it!! Or a slightly questioning, voice-up-at-end-of-statement, as if leaving room for doubt. Like "Yes, those size 8 jeans look really good on you?"

Why do people feel the need to be unkind?

I never had any problem with her and in fact found her really helpful.

If you did not 'like her intonation' and 'manner' she is gone now and so no longer a problem for you. No need to go on.

Alternatively tell people to their face if you do not like how they are treating you.

I find that if you have a positive outlook and open your mind and heart up a bit then you find the good in people.

Share the love.

MafiaMummy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> does sue really not know what an annoying

> inflexion is or is she just objecting to my

> Americanized spelling?

>

> XXXXXXXXXX

No, surprising as it may seem, I have no idea what you consider "annoying" or what you consider an "inflexion". Or possibly an "inflection" - whatever either of those may be :)

And I did post-grad research on stereotyped reactions to accented speech :))

:)):)):))

Agree with Tinks on this one - I always got on well with her (this may be because I am supremely fashion forward...)

And for those of you that didn't, was her intonation really enough to keep you at bay? Just feels a bit mean