Be Vigilant When Out In Pubs In Dulwich (handbag stolen from EDT)

On sunday afternoon a group of friends and i were in EDT having a quiet drink and catch up- 4ish. Band playing in the background.Not very busy- a random female individual came into the pub, sat down in close facility of where we were sitting and stole one of our groups handbag from underneath the table.( This was shown on CCTV). She was seen leaving the pub in a hurry running across the road towards the coffee shop.

My friend is annoyed as in her bag was the usual credit cards, keys to house and car but a sentimental purse her father had bought her as a present.

Please can you check your gardens and dustbins to see if a small black handbag has been thrown in.

Unfortunately the thief didn't get what she wanted- no money

I had this done to be about 20 years ago in Henry's Piccadilly. It was so awful that I can recall it to this day. In fact three ladies (all sitting at separate tables had their bags stolen that night). I had to pay a guy to come out and cut a car key for me on Piccadilly where I had parked, having borrowed a stranger's phone to call someone out. Got a taxi home knowing I had no cash on me (I had some at home to pay but still a horrible feeling). My fileofax (it was 20 years ago!), house keys, make up, mobile etc. all gone not to mention a lovely bag. So sorry for your friend - reading your post brought it all back to me. I often wonder what I would have done if I had caught the person leaving the bar with my bag!! (I am a tall strong lady!).

It can happen in shops too. A few years ago I was standing in John Lewis, in front of a mirror in that absorbed state you go into when you try on clothes. I looked down to see a woman leaning down and reaching out her hand to my bag on the floor right in front of me. She pulled back her hand, muttered something and left. I was so shocked she managed to disappear before I could do anything. She looked like a typical shopper and I'd never have suspected her had I not seen her in the act. It wasn't as though I'd put the bag down and walked away; it was literally so close I could have stamped on her hand. I almost wished I had.

My friend had her bag stolen some time ago from under her grandchild's pram in the smaller St. Christopher's shop, she reported it to the shop who had said at the time there had been a spate of handbag thefts as so many people in such a small space it was difficult to keep an eye of everyone.

It's not always possible depending on the style of bag, but if I have a bag with a shoulder strap I always put the strap round my leg if I'm sitting in a public place.

Probably looks a bit strange but it means nobody can go off with the bag.