Shopping centre rumour?

Oh, hmmmm..well

I hate these centres, really I do, but they built one in Sydenham recently

I've found myself in sports direct/Pc World in the early evening a few times since

And thinking; thank fekk I didn't have to go to Bromlaaaay/Old kent Rd, this is actually quite convenient

I'm on thin moral/rightious ice here, but 'stuff' happens

I have not heard this rumour other than this thread.

I very much doubt such an application would be made. It would represent out of town shopping. However the Sainasbury's was approved and built so you never. It depends on the policies and focus of whoever is running the council at the time. Southwark at the recent MIPIM conference went with the slogan "Towers, Sky & Ambition". Places such as Dulwich will no longer be off limits for skyscraper applications.

A big box development is possible (though unlikely I'd have thought). Wouldn't call that 'a shopping centre' though. I would hope the good peeps of ED would fight such a thing were it proposed. The 'industrial estate' / warehouse model of shopping has got to be one of the most depressing things ever to have happened to retail.

James, as a local councillor with keen interest in local planning matters, I'm afraid you are guilty of blatant scaremongering of the worst kind here...."Places such as Dulwich will no longer be off limits for skyscraper applications."

As you well know, Southwark is a diverse borough spanning from the most central and ripe zone 1 areas for maximum urban development along Southbank to zone 3 suburbia.

Planning density is controlled by Supplementary Planning Documents for areas throughout the borough.

The Dulwich SPD was approved by council last year. For anyone who is interested:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/4145/dulwich_spd

I quote:

3.3 Our vision for East Dulwich

We are working with the local community to further improve East Dulwich as a pleasant and popular place to live. The area is mostly residential with lots of Victorian terraced housing. Local residents have good access to local shops along Northcross Road and Grove Vale and a wider variety of shops on Lordship Lane. There is plenty of access to surrounding attractive open spaces including Goose Green, Dulwich Park and Peckham Rye Common. East Dulwich Station provides train services to London Bridge which are well used by the many East Dulwich residents. Current improvements to Dulwich Leisure Centre will improve the facility for local residents.

The Mayor does not set us targets for East Dulwich. There will be very little growth, with the focus on improving what is already there and protecting its suburban character.

clockworkorange Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @james barber - has somebody hacked your account

> and written the most moronic thing they could

> think of?

The MIPM conference isn't very popular it seems (seen a few reports of Demo's)

- although I think the Skyscrapers are more Bankside and Elephant way.