1 Way Road Blockages (Oxenford/Coplestone Road)

edc

Living on Oxenford Street, I always find it quite amusing the amount of lorries/HGV's which seem to think it's ok to travel up Bellenden Road, to Oxenford Street (a highly residential area with car's on both sides) and then getting stuck no matter which way they move (thanks to the notorious 1 way system).

This morning 2 HGV lorries - got stuck by Oxenford/Coplestone Road. All the cars parked either side just made it difficult to move any direction. The police had to be called to help guide the Lorries up the 1 way street, and hopefully on their way home.

All in all - it's taken around an hour (thanks to a reasonably quick response from the police).

Don't you think it's about time either the electronic maps, or the sign posting around this area improves. If it was just one or two incidents I wouldn't mind- but it's becoming too regular! What do you think?

Just some photos - which show you exactly what I mean - with the traffic on both sides of the road, and really nowhere for the lorries to go...

Some streets are just residential - not meant for anything else!

You must have - at least it's all been sorted now.

The HGV's driver was a little annoyed, it's the first time he's been stuck anywhere. That's saying everything about the situation.

At least with a little co-operation from residents (for moving their cars) and of course the Police. It got rectified.

Hope the bus being delayed, didn't make you late :) Butterfly effect!

wonderwoman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Gosh we must have caught the tail end of it then.

> Just been sitting on bus waiting for them to

> manoeuvre out onto the main didn't know it had

> been going on for an hour!

You've basically got the choice of either restricting width with bollards/gates, or restricting parking to give large vehicles room to turn.

The problem with the latter is that sometimes residential roads need access for large vehicles. Deliveries, skips, scaffolding, vehicle recovery, fire engines, etc.

We've had the same problem on Maxted Road with massive continental coaches from Peckham Lodge cutting up through Bellenden Road and along Maxted to try and get out onto East Dulwich Road.

With cars parked on all sides when they get to the junction with Nutbrook they often get stuck and perform increasingly balletic maneouvres to try and get out.

I mentioned it to James Barber some time ago about asking the owners of Peckham Lodge to tell coaches not to go that way but not sure it had any effect.

There seems to be problems always in this area with traffic. Just look at Bellenden Road by the shops. How often is there blockages around that area, with buses and cars waiting for each other to give way or move.

I feel the best course of action would be for the whole area, to be designated a 'residential area' with signs stating this placed around at prominent positions. Also maybe with the introduction of resident only parking during specific times (such as a window period say 6-9am) to discourage people to just park and leave their cars.

The bottle neck areas - just need serious restrictions - such as deliveries/short term parking (half an hour or so with no return within 2 hours), and only using 1 side of the road for this to aide the flow of traffic.

I mean - all those cars who park - around here - why can't they park nr Peckham Station in the car park on Chourment Road Car Park, or the Multi-story.

I know it probably factors down to cost - I'm sure a co-operative deal which mutually benefits everyone could be reached.

• 9 months later...

Huggers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We get them jammed in Nutbrook Street and have

> asked council to put advisory sign so lorries

> don't even start down that route. As for ringing

> the companies, there are loads of them, new every

> time!

An HGV ripped out the bollard on the corner of Nutbrook/Adys on Thursday, oil and concrete all down the road! They really need to find a way to close this as shortcut for HGVs/coaches before some more serious damage occurs. Has the council ever looked at this when they did the other one-way changes?