Daft question regarding oyster cards

Hi

Apologies for the daft question - I am not a commuter...

Oyster cards - from east dulwich station - can they be used? I did not see a card reader...we have a new au pair who wishes to find the most economic way to have a social life outside east dulwich...

Thanks, Otto

I find it odd that my annual train pass can't be loaded onto it. I'd still need to go through the barrier at London Bridge and there's no check at ED anyway. In fact in 3 years of commuting from here, my ticket has never been checked at ED station or during the journey. I know it's different if you have a tube pass as well, just seems like a simple improvement.

it can be - if you buy it from TfL rather than from the train company - it's the same price either way, though if you buy it from TfL and you need to go out of zone then you don't risk a fine - provided you set an automatic top-up of say a fiver

i switched from Southern to TfL and it's great - i can now get to Heathrow for about an extra quid each way when needed!

ziggy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I find it odd that my annual train pass can't be

> loaded onto it. I'd still need to go through the

> barrier at London Bridge and there's no check at

> ED anyway. In fact in 3 years of commuting from

> here, my ticket has never been checked at ED

> station or during the journey. I know it's

> different if you have a tube pass as well, just

> seems like a simple improvement.

As mikese22 says you can use Oyster on national rail if you have a ticket for 7 days or more but you can't use the Oyster for pay as you go.

There was a recent planning application (in April from memory) for Oyster card readers at North Dulwich Station which will allow pay as you go to be used - the national rail fares from local stations changed to a zonal system earlier this year in readiness for this. When introduced it will obviously be for the whole Southern route into London Bridge including ED. I think it's meant to be up and running by early next year at the latest.