Long live the new Harris Boys Academy - Swimming Pool Campaign

Dear All

Forget about what I said about judicial review - why? The planning committee unanimously supported the application on 2nd July at the town hall and no one in office seriously objected to the proposal. One does not have to be a barrister to deduce that there is not much one can do now to overturn the proposal. And what would be achieved by that?

There is also a lot to be said for trying to engage with Harris Federation and influencing their decisions as the project develops. That will be the acid test of whether they listen to the community... like London's new mayor, no matter how politically repugnant to some, they deserve to be given a chance to prove themselves before they lose their honeymoon credibility - Gordon Brown style.

Those of us guerilla fighters in EDGE and EDEN need to lay down our arms or at least bury them somewhere ( not completely give them up like the IRA) and make sure that the Councillors and officials who voted this through are part the process which makes sure that Harris Federation evolve their ideas about what consultation with the community means.

For starters: Could we please have a campaign for Harris Federation to build a local swimming pool for school and community use. The ideal choice would be to refurbish the one on Girls' Upper site. Especially desirable as Sports Academy which the Boys could also use rather than trek to Peckham Pulse or Goose Green where there are hardly any slots open for schools at the moment, let alone when the Boys School is full in 2013.

It would also help persuade those of us who were and still are skeptical that Harris Federation can deliver their PE Curriculum and Sports Strategy based on the Boys' site, since at the moment... there is absolutely no swimming whatsoever for Harris Girls Academy East Dulwich.. and as I understand on good authority - no intention to provide that part of the curriculum which is a national requirement.

Oh and by the way - I dont mind if they drop the Langbourne 2009 start and use the money for a pool instead. I think the temporary site thing is a bad idea - better to start the new school later. It would also take the pressure off having to open it in case it is not ready ( as these things always get delayed).

Please continue this discussion on this thread http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,141476 - The Administrator