share on Facebook

on Twitter

on Google+

email

(0) comments

print

First published 11:59 Monday 10 November 2014 in News

News Shopper: Photograph of the Author by Carly Read, reporter

A man was found hanging in the woodland of Sydenham Hill yesterday morning.

Police and the London Ambulance Service were called to the scene at 11.26am.

The man, believed to be in his mid 30s, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police have confirmed the death is not currently being treated as suspicious.

It appears to have been reported in a paper. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between that and posting on here?

If this thread hadn't been started I had been intending starting one asking if anybody knew the reason for the police activity outside the woods. We were on a fungi walk and had been told by one of the organisers that there had been an "incident".

Sorry, but I personally don't think it's an inappropriate topic, given that the person hasn't been named and there aren't any details given.

Jacqui5254 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> But that's the difference, isn't it? Its

> not 'reported' here, it's put up for public

> discussion.

There is nothing to discuss.

It's only being "discussed" at all because some people objected to the thread title.

This is a news section of a local forum. This is legitimate local news in which I for one am interested. It explains a significant amount of police activity outside at least two entrances to our local woods on Sunday morning.

Nobody is asking for further details other than what was in the original post.

I imagine that friends and family of the person concerned have other things on their mind at the moment than looking in the news section of the East Dulwich Forum.

ETA: And yes, clearly the OP was a cut and paste, and the facebook/twitter thing is a generic thing presumably attached to every piece from the paper.

ETA: And even if it was shared on facebook and twitter, there is no name and no details, so I can't actually see any issue there anyway.

I think there is a clear difference between 'interest' and 'prurient interest'. The facts (a man found hanged locally) are of interest - helping explain police presence etc. etc. (and very possibly scotching other rumours). Information (which we haven't had) about name, address, intimate details of the event, speculation as to cause etc. etc. are prurient interest - passing anonymous references on this forum are going to be pretty low amongst 'grief triggers' for those left behind to mourn, as has already been noted.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> I think there is a clear difference between

> 'interest' and 'prurient interest'.

Yes, exactly.

I was going to post exactly that earlier, except that I googled the meaning of "prurient" and it was different to what I thought .....

cella Wrote:

> It's not always important to have the last word

> Sue.

Oh FFS.

I post an honest comment agreeing with Penguin68's post (perhaps you'd like to come round and check my browser history today to confirm that I googled "prurient" before I made a previous post on this thread) and somebody has to have a go at me.

Why do you think I wanted to "have the last word" because I made that comment?

What is wrong with some people on here?

ETA: To make that kind of personal attack on me on a thread about a sadly dead man is totally inappropriate, in my opinion.

Or maybe the constant wrangling over and repetition of the event in a thread? If all news was suppressed in case of the upset it might cause, we'd know precious little about anything.

Sometimes (and I am making no speculation about the particular case in hand) the reporting of a sad event, and ensuing discussion, allows actions to be taken which might avert a repetition. The overall benefit to be gained from this (Jeremy Bentham lives yet) may outweigh the particular pain of a few individuals, if they are even aware of the commentary taking place.

Oh for God's sake. The bloke hanged himself in the woods, where he could have very easily been found by a child (and even if it was an adult, I imagine they're pretty upset about the experience). That's about as bloody public as you can get.

No one knows who it was or where he was from, he may not have any family or close friends, that could be part of the reason he killed himself. He could have been a homeless bloke from Scotland, we don't know.

But all this talk of the upset this thread could cause to some imagined family is just a nonsense.

People can moan about the noise of a few fireworks, but a man hanging in the local woods is not worthy of note? Seriously???