Southwark Council proposals for LL/NthX Rd junction

maxxi

Received a glossy leaflet detailing the proposed building out of pavements on LL either side of NthX Rd to provide cycle parking and to "improve inter-visibility", also proposals to reduce width of pelican crossing, raise entry table on NthX Rd.,completely resurface road all along this section of LL, removal of short-stay parking bay north of pelican crossing to give buses more room to pull in to bus stop.

A series of vital improvements or a waste of time? (apart from resurfacing as the lane is cracked to buggery along there)

Hi Nigello, firest mate,

Sadly we have other junctions with more crashes than GR/LL.

The NXR/LL has a number of pedestrian movements but primarily these works are to make this junction more pleasant and a better experience.

Hard to be precise about number of collisions as crashes often go unreported even when people injured. But the crashmap website shows a number of reported crashes at this junction and the Pelican.

Just checked crash map and only one serious incident in last 9 years at that location, and no incidents since 2008. The map also shows, as you say James, many other streets close by with similar problems or worse, so safety is not the real reason I guess.

Have their been complaints about the quality of experience at the junction for market goers?

Surprised the council feels compelled to consult about individual instances such as this.

I would have been more encouraged to see a consultation for all locations in East Dulwich where side roads meet a main road such as Lordship Lane. Tightening up the pavement widths, slowing down cars and aiding pedestrian movement is surely a good thing.

I may be way off but I wonder if this has anything to do with the proposed M&S and flats above and possible planning conditions- remember how there was all that stuff about no pressure on parking because everyone will walk or come on bikes/ public transport? Hard to know why a sudden need for all this investment at LL/Nx.

hi Alice,

?50,000 which seemed very steep. I'm hopeful officers can achieve the works for far less.

Hi Bemused,

Southwark Council can't really consult on all side roads being changed along Lordship Lane if it didn't have the money or plans to make such changes. Consultations have to be timed around real proposed works to be legally valid.

Hi first mate,

Why now? Because the entrance to North Cross Road looks a mess. Next year we hope to improve LL pavements. Potentially the junction of Whateley Road with LL.

Only slowing down proposed is of cars entering or leaving NCR. LL is already 20mph.

Hi worldwiser,

EDG/LL. we've organised a full entry treatment, LL signalled crossing to break the traffic flow up and ensure gaps for people crossing EDG, EDG and LL are now both 20mph. If you have specific thoughts how to make this junction better I'm all ears.

Hi teddy,

please respond to the consultation stating that. The number of cycle stand on the north side look odd as they will block sight lines. I suspect council officials are trying to deter people crossing at these points. I did point thiso ut on a site visit but useful if others point out the issue.

Hi first mate,

it has nothing to do with M&S and flats above. I can state this as I applied for the project to take place over a year ago. It has just taken an inordinate amount of time to flow through the council system.

I mentioned it in January:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,336529,1260331#msg-1260331

So, on that basis, you have to wonder what the real agenda driving this is?

Sometimes it feels like there is this overarching vision for ED that is held in the brains of certain Councillors, which is not shared with voters, but where that vision is achieved piecemeal by driving through changes by whatever means possible. Sorry if I sound deeply cynical.