moving to Dulwich, any advice?

Hi everyone! I need to move next September and find a two bedsrooms flat. I was thinking about Dulwich.. Could someone tell me about East Dulwich and if this is very different to West Dulwich?? I had a walk around ED the other day and I thought it looked a nice area... But I've never been to WD.

What worries me the most is safety.. However, we can't afford expensive flats.. Any streets or areas that you think are safer than others? any advice?

Thank you all in advance!

lorenika

Completely different, and with Dulwich Village and North Dulwich in between, both of which are very nice.

Depends on your priorities. East Dulwich is liveliest and has the best selection of places to eat and drink. West Dulwich is quieter, but zone 3 rather than zone 2, so journey into London takes slightly longer and costs more. I've been told there has been a spate of attacks around West Dulwich station at night recently but I've lived in a number of places in the area, including close to Peckham Rye station, and never had any problems.

wow, the link to that thread has lots of information! thank you all!

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> lorenika

>

> I meant to reply earlier - this thread (follow

> link below) is a good example of someone who was

> going through a similar move. She asked for advice

> and has since moved - and appears to be loving it

>

> Moving to East Dulwich

During my 5 years of living in East Dulwich, I've never so much as even witnessed a public argument, let alone fight or anything more sinister. And this includes 4 years of commuting back into Peckham Rye Station, often quite late in the evening.

East Dulwich is a great area. Unlike a recent thread talking about a couple that moved back into central, I did the very opposite after living 2 years in the heart of Chelsea. I've no regrets at all and have no plans to move back whatsoever.

You'll love it here.

Yay Ive had my whole thread be quoted - woop woop - that's got to raise my stakes on the forum!! ;-)

You are absolutely right SM we are loving it!! Best move we have made by far..

@Lorenika - honestly punt WD and come East, we have not been in long and its brilliant so far.. We have made new friends on the forum, are living our life 'locally' as much as we can i.e. using the services in ED, shopping in ED, spending our hard earned cash in the pubs of ED - its got a real community feel which I find a wee bit addictive and quite inspirational..

Anyhoo that's my 2 pence worth..

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> lorenika

>

> I meant to reply earlier - this thread (follow

> link below) is a good example of someone who was

> going through a similar move. She asked for advice

> and has since moved - and appears to be loving it

>

> Moving to East Dulwich

Excuse me young lady - The only thing that counts on this forum is raw number of posts - Keef and Mockney took an early and seemingly unassailable lead, but by God I've given it a fair old crack - Just 700 or so posts behind Keef's 6447 (at time of writing). He's in my sights!

Edited: Because I forgot I wasn't in the Lounge. Back on topic then. Strawbs is experiencing the same feelings I did when I moved here 7 years ago. Only I still haven't really stopped feeling them. I know it's not perfect (where is when you actually LIVE there) but it's the only place I've ever felt I can call home and mean it.

PMSL!!! Ok I get the message I must post more!! Ive only managed 206 since February *gasp* I didnt realise I had so few, sorry the annoying this called work I have to do generally just gets in the way *rolls eyes*

I will repeat the mantra daily 'post post post'..

*whizzes off to find random threads she can post on*

Update on my original thread i.e. the one that was quoted - yay go me! My ex landlord emailed me this morning to say the person I had the last run in with at gippo hill has been sectioned under the mental health act.. As much as Im sorry for this person who has a mental illness I do feel slightly better knowing it wasnt just me over reacting.. Apparently she was harrassing the guy downstairs..

So glad we made the move to ED, not a single run in with anyone other than perfectly pleasant peeps..

bl00dy hell wild horses couldnt drag me back!! Only thing I can think of that I would need to go back there is for the fish shop they have, they do great live feed for my goldfish and its just generally a great store - is there one in ED?

And come on.. how could I leave the forum??

lorenika, apparently you need to watch out for the trees in East Dulwich, or at least the strange people who think there are too many (mutters under breath about care in the community and how it may not be working when thinks about 'too many trees in East Dulwich' thread)

I have been her nearly 15 years (the villagers almost accept me now, but I am still a bit of an outsider) and all I can say is if you are coming here then welcome to one of the nicest areas I have ever lived in