Good cycling route to Fulham broadway

The quickest way would be Camberwell New Road, past the Oval, Vauxhall Bridge, then along the river. I confess I've never been through Vauxhall Cross on the bike during morning/evening rush hour but I've been told there's a safe cut through somewhere. The other alternative would be to find a decent cut through from Camberwell Rd to Black Prince Road and then go over Lambeth Bridge, but that would definitely be a bit slower.

Well, it depends how fast you are, not sure this would be faster but it's the most pleasant route I've found to get to that end of town. I sometimes work in South Ken, and go to Herne Hill, then through Brockwell Park, and onto Brixton Water Lane. I then follow the marked cycle route via Lambert Road and Narbonne Avenue to Clapham Common. Across the common to Cedars Rd, stay on that through to Battersea, then turn into Battersea park at the roundabout, and go round via Carriage Drive South and then West, then out onto Albert Bridge road and over Albert Bridge. Straight onto Oakley St and then from there I guess you could head down the Kings road.

Hope that makes sense! But let me know if you want any more details.

Jim, where do you start from?

I used to do East Dulwich / The Plough to West Brompton and tried the route via Camberwell/Oval/Vauxhall but found it too congested and even as an experienced & confident cyclist, I really didn't enjoy the route especially the section from Oval through Vuaxhall and along the embankment.

My preferred route below, quickest time was about 35mins though mostly nudging 40mins:

Dulwich Park - Herne Hill - Brixton Water Lane - Acre Lane - Clapham Common Northside - Elspeth Road - Latchmere Road - Battersea Bridge - Cheyne Walk and so on from there.

I really dislike Lambeth Bridge - I feel safer going round Vauxhall. I find Lambeth more crowded and hate the roundabouts. I don't come via the Oval through - I head down via Stockwell from Brixton (this may change when the CS is upgraded) and come into Vauxhall from South Lambeth Road. I do go via Herne Hill though to get to Brixton.

If you do go over Lambeth though, don't go via Victoria. It's horrible to cycle around at the moment because there are so many roadworks, I'd take the Embankment across.

Thanks all, I found a reasonably complex route avoiding Vauxhall by going over Loughborough junction way and working my way to battersea park via Union Road, it does avoid most major traffic routes until you get to the bridges. Did that in 38 mins yesterday but fairly flat out.

Horsebox, I'm up at the plough too and yours is much simpler, half a mile less and flatter, I'll give that a go thanks.

About 20 years ago I used to do this exact route. Some roads may have changed their usage since then but give it a go.

Some busy roads but fairly off piste generally.

Half Moon Lane, Dulwich Road, Brixton Water Lane, Lambert Road, Mandrell Road, Lyham, Crescent Lane, Long Road, Battersea Rise, Boutflower Rd, Strath Terr, Plough Rd, Harbut, Nantes Cl, thru the underpass, Wandsworth Bridge Road and then a slow coast thru the park to get my breath back before I arrived. About 35 mins as I remember.

Hope it works out well, jim_the_chin. One thing to note: The junction of Clapham Common / Elspeth is an awkward 'ahead only' toward Battersea Rise / no right turn so I usually just dismount and use the pedestrian crossing which allow me to head right down Elspeth Road. You'll work it out immediately but thought it worth mentioning.