Local Food Bank Christmas Hamper project

Huggers

hi everyone, hope this is the right section for this.

Yesterday I made a first visit to our local food bank at Pecan, 121a Peckham High Street, to donate a few bits and pieces.

The volunteers told me that they are making up hampers to be distributed a couple of days before Christmas, each one to feed a family for five days, and I offered to publicise this on the EDF.

I can't attach the list as a photo as it's too big but here is a link to the website

http://www.pecan.org.uk/our-projects/foodbank

I will format it all smaller later to add.

They are really grateful to receive any donations- I managed to make up a couple of bags of things mainly from the extra tin/bar of chocolate in a multi buy. Also staples are good cos they can make up more meals and be stored- plus anything Christmassy that these families couldn't possibly budget for- a Lidl advent calendar or a tiny bag of decorative chocolate balls.

I know that lots of people feeling a very hard pinch this Christmas, but if you can, every little spare thing builds to make a bigger bag. We could coordinate a drop if people wanted to give maybe one thing.

Fresh fruit and veg is a problem and some local greengrocers said they would donate end of day produce if someone would collect. If you are such a greengrocer, p.m. me, I will give you my mobile - I have a car and may be able to do a run. The problem is it needs to get to them that day, for distribution that day, and the only day they are open till 5pm is THURSDAy I think, so this would have to be very specifically targeted.

I have copied and pasted the shopping list from their website:

Shopping List

Please choose an item, tinned or dried, from this list to buy and give to the Peckham Food Bank

? Pasta Sauce (Tin/Jar/Sachet)

? Tinned vegetables

? Meat (Tinned)

? Fish (tinned)

? Fruit (Tinned)

? Cereals

? Sponge/Rice Pudding

? Tea bags/Coffee

? Pasta/Rice (500g)

? Fruit Juice (Carton)

? Milk (UHT, powdered or tinned)

? Baked Beans

? Soup (tinned or dried)

? Sugar (500g)

? Tomatoes (tinned)

? Biscuits/Snacks

? Potatoes (powdered or tinned)

? Squash

Thank you for your support!

Part of the work of Pecan & local Churches in Peckham

Their email address is [email protected]

Contact number: 020 77320007

Hi intexasatthemoment,

I don't think you need to phone Pecan before dropping off a food donation. I have visited many times over recent months without any prior arrangement, at different times of the day, and left bags of food for the foodbank. They are really grateful for any donations. The only problem I have is that parking is pretty impossible outside their premises, so I normally park in Morrisons and then walk through the bus station and across the road, which limits what I can carry to two carrier bags.

Cathy

yes I just dropped in but check times as some days they close earlier than others. I walked with my basket on wheels but you could park in Lidl and walk along.

re-non perishables, fruit and veg welcome but it needs to get there in the day so that it can be distributed same day.

Brilliant service..

I have seen the collection point at Millwall Football ground car park (The Blue Bus)

I will try to remember to make a donation of food at the next home game on the 6th Dec.

Another good thing that Millwall FC does for the local community that never gets much publicity.

DulwichFox

Big Thanks today to Petty's Traditional Greengrocers in Northcross Road who contributed two big boxes of veg today!

re parking, the little lane next to Pecan can be used as drop off despite double yellows- any trouble warden-wise, Pecan will sort it out.

nunhead_man Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So car centered :-(

>

> You could easily cycle to there from ED with an

> item or so in your panniers

How very true. I would love to be able to cycle anywhere really, but sadly my disability prevents this and also prevents me being able to walk very far, so driving is my only real option these days.

Cathy

I checked where they're collecting and when:

On Thursday 27th November-Saturday 29th November (between 9am-5pm)- We will be hosting our national supermarket collections at three Southwark based Tesco stores; Old Kent Road, Elephant and Castle and Surrey Quays. Volunteers are needed for 2-3 hour slots.

The last weekend before Christmas, Saturday 20th December- Sunday 21st December ? we will be conducting a bag packing event to fundraise for our Christmas Hamper appeal. The Southwark based Tesco stores have invited us to offer shoppers assistance with packing their shopping in exchange for donations towards the Foodbank. This will take place between 12am-4pm and volunteers will be needed to for a maximum of 2 hours.

Please contact Lucianna Boye-Thompson if you can help on 020 7732 0007

or via [email protected]