Speeding Cars SE22

Gloves1980

Having just moved to the area, I have noticed that not a lot of people do not adhere to the speed limits, nor are the speed humps affective......

In particular on Hindmans Road, Crystal Palace Road and surrounding roads.

I have a cat, which I love dearly and there are young children and other pedestrians which are being put at risk......

How best to approach the council on this matter?

problem is that no amount of narrow speed bumps, lamp post signs or painting on roads will make any difference until there is an actual deterrent. So cameras, either permanent or one that is routinely repositioned. I'd much prefer the traffic warden's cars with roof-mounted camera were used to catch speeding cars, than sending out tickets to those who stop on a single line for 30secs at the wrong time of the day.

Underhill becomes a rat run from the roundabout on the Langton rise junction, in the morning and afternoon rush hours, despite the humps. As soon as vehicles turn off the roundabout they seem to feel they have to put their foot to the pedal as there is a hill either side, especially vans, thankfully the p13 going up and down can slow them down sometimes. Had my niece and nephew down recently, and wouldn't let them cross without holding on to me, you can hear the cars revving up as they come around the roundabout

The zebra crossing thing is also bad... It's ingrained in me to stop in my car or bike when approaching, maybe because of my age, I don't know. Nearly had a nasty incident on the crossing near the rye pub, I slowed to a stop on my bike & lady crossing went to go, almost to be hit by a car coming up behind me who put his foot down to try and beat her crossing. scared the life out of both of us. I tend to spend my time fist waving like victor Meldrew at bikes and cars that whizz past me at crossings when I stop.

@Gloves1980 I'm in full agreement.

My wife and I have been living in ED for a few years now. Having moved to Lordship Lane (near Dulwich library), I found it incredible how cars used Lordship Lane as a dragstrip - made worse by the lights at the crossroads and the downhill strip going into the ED centre. It's incredible the speeds that cars get up to in all weathers.

Later on in the evening, speeds increase as the road becomes a little less congested, so does more reckless driving where cars race each other, overtaking as they go down the hill.

I've wondered for awhile if there have been any accidents on this stretch of LL? It's worried me about the safety of people crossing this part of LL, as the only traffic calming measure is the lights opposite Townley road. In my opinion, a speed camera between Dulwich library and Townley Road is needed to slow drivers down.

Couldn't agree more with this. A car came flying down Landells Road as I was trying to get my toddler out of the car. I moved my hand up and down and mouthed to them to slow down but they just beeped at me and carried on speeding down the Road...Frustrating!

James,

People who speed in built up areas must either be ignorant of basic Math and Physics, or choose to ignore such concepts when it comes to driving. Please see the linked article which shows clearly that even if one is wilfully ambivalent to others safety, the gains from speeding over short journeys are marginal when traffic stops and turning are considered. The author's example is from the US where roads are in general straighter and longer with fewer traffic calming measures such as 'speed humps' than in East Dulwich.

What can be done to improve education on this point?

lifehacker.com/does-speeding-really-get-you-there-any-faster-1556767685

Henry

Hi Mustard,

Any speeding vehicles, note the number plate, Police send a warning letter. After several letters I believe they prosecute.

To take part you need an hours training to use the kit.

Hi Henry_17,

Agreed.

I would hope that convicted speeders are given the option of points on their licence or attending a speed awareness course. So yes, this is in place reactively.

Hi Mustard,

Only East Dulwich ward and more recently Village ward have provided speed 'guns' for their Police Safer Neighbourhood Teams which obviously are key requisites for this.

We've provided a mobile one on wheels and a handheld one in East Dulwich. I think they've jsut provided a handheld in Village ward. The latter was one of the last acts from memory while Robin Crookshank hilton was still a councillor.

I wonder if for Barry Road the pedestrian crossing near the junction with Underhill Road was taken out and the actual vehicle traffic at that junction was regulated by ATS with a pedestrian 'Barnes dance' scramble phase would have three benefits:

1. Allow pedestrians to safely traverse the road at any point of the junction (instead of currently having to cross unregulated parts first to get to the crossing),

2. Allow traffic crossing or turning into Barry Road from either side of Underhill Road to be protected from the limited visibility of traffic 'thundering down Barry Road at considerable speeds,

3. Break up the drag strip length that vehicles knowing they have priority hurtle along. I begrudge that motorists may on seeing the green or orange light in the distance increase their velocity to 'make it'. But if the phases for cross traffic and pedestrians are long enough it may train road users to traverse the length of Barry Road with patience.

I wonder if this strategy has been considered or ruled out previously and what factors am I not foreseeing?

Hi Mustard,

I would check what CGS bids have been made this year and see if any funds could be used in this way to buy speed 'guns' for your local Police Safer Neighbourhood Team. Worth getting in touch with them and perhaps attending a ward panel to discuss this.

If no suitable CGS bids then the next round is 12 months way I'm afraid.

Hi peckhambog,

Installing full traffic lights is really expensive and quite a queue to do this across London. As it isn't any longer a crash blackspot it is unlikely to justify borough money to add traffic lights to this junction.

I've applied for average speed cameras that should have a similar impact of reducing speeds. Fingers crossed it is one of the projects that goes forward.

Well, we (me and my daughter) just nearly got mown down by a car turning right into Woodwarde Road from Enyella, not indicating and travelling extremely fast. When I "remonstrated" the driver stopped and started shouting at me, getting out of the car to accuse me of racism, suggesting that I felt I had some kind of entitlement (I do, I'd rather not be killed) and urging me to "remember slavery".

Not quite sure what that adds to the debate other than, yes crossing the road is indeed hazardous.

Hi James,

Thanks for the feedback.

I note you write "isn't any longer" suggesting it has previously been a crash hot spot. Yet in the last month there was an incident of a speeding vehicle clipping a pedestrian substantially damaging itself and another vehicle, and putting a third vehicle out of service.

I understand the competition for scarce resources, but how many full scale tragedies are required before action is taken?

Granted you are seeking some intervention but the speed limit is 30mph. Average speed cameras might be set at 35-39mph; that is TOO fast. The road needs breaking up/disrupting the momentum that can be achieved flying down the hill.

Still appreciative of your interest and input with this problem. Thank you.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Hi peckhambog,

> Installing full traffic lights is really expensive

> and quite a queue to do this across London. As it

> isn't any longer a crash blackspot it is unlikely

> to justify borough money to add traffic lights to

> this junction.

> I've applied for average speed cameras that should

> have a similar impact of reducing speeds. Fingers

> crossed it is one of the projects that goes

> forward.

Vintage slumber, I agree with you we are also on Lordship Lane tho a bit further up than you beyond the library there is a real problem with cars speeding along this stretch to make the lights at the junction of Barry road & Eynella, especially in the evening or at times when there is less congestion. I accept that we live on a busy main road & in our case we can't afford to move to a quieter one! But the speeding really worries me. I have raised this with James Barber before & would welcome action to help solve this problem.

yes, keane and vintage slumber and I think the situation has got worse, or rather, got complicated, by the addition of Sainsburys which means there are more cars pulling in and out to park, turning into Crystal Palace and Landells and also people crossing the roads ... I suppose people that know the area are more likley to account of these factors but its a very busy through road too (which is why, I think, the 20 mile an hour restriction ends at a certain point on the Lane ...)