crystal palace road next to the actress pub, Building being demolished What is happing there ?

natty01295

It is being made into a rather dense development of houses, the row continuing along on the land behind it. There is another thread on it which also has a link to the plans. These days any spare land will either be crammed with new housing, made into a Harris Academy or a new supermarket.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It is being made into a rather dense development

> of houses, the row continuing along on the land

> behind it. There is another thread on it which

> also has a link to the plans. These days any spare

> land will either be crammed with new housing, made

> into a Harris Academy or a new supermarket.

We're not short of parks and green spaces around here so I don't see what the problem is. Those who complain about parking can sell their cars.

In built-up areas (and boy are we increasingly a built up area) services capacity is an issue - increased demands on either liquid waste removal, or indeed water supply, may bring undue pressures on existing residents - resulting either in failure or, where capacity has to be increased, long and disruptive street works. The same used to be true of land-line availability (and to some extent still is, although different types of pair gain, VOIP and fibre technology are allowing greater capacities within existing infrastructure). ED is old enough that much of its infrastructure is (give or take renewals) 100+ years old - much is giving out through regular wear-and-tear - think how often we have a water leak somewhere - and it was designed around lower levels of usage.

It is important in giving planning permission for replacement works, where one habitation is being replaced by two or more, that the existing service capacity be checked to ensure that it is sufficient. [This is less an issue on real greenfield sites where new capacity will form part of the construction plan].

healey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> It was an old police station. Another one.

The building connected with the police is opposite The Actress, not next to it, as stated above.

It was never a police station as such. It was used by the police for other purposes.

But from the thread, I'm totally confused which site we're talking about, next to or opposite The Actress!

I was the East Dulwich {olice station from victorian times until the 1970's when the 'new' East Dulwich Police station was built - which has recently closed. It has housed a number of Police units over the years.

The 'new' ED police station used to be where they kept all the emergency firearms for Southwark Police officers. Nice quiet area with little risk of police station being over run.

> The 'new' ED police station used to be where they

> kept all the emergency firearms for Southwark

> Police officers. Nice quiet area with little risk

> of police station being over run.

I always wondered about that logic, since everyone seemed to know there was a firearms unit based there...indeed it is/was listed in a load of gamekeeper and other country pursuits directories.

http://www.directoryofgamekeeping.com/search/categories/26/

The building opposite was a fully functioning police station until, as JB has indicated,the mid 70's. Shortly before it closed, it had a rather grand official visit from the Queen Mother for some kind of celebration, the purpose of which escapes my memory just now.

When the station on L.L./Whately Road opened, the CID remained at CPR for a number of years, indeed, expanding at one stage to the extent of requiring pre-fab huts in the car park at the back.

Penguin,

I agree it's logical to conclude that a greater number of people using fixed capacity infrastructure should lead to incrementally greater pressure on that infrastructure, but are you sure that an age of 100+ years is sufficient that we should be particularly concerned with respect to East Dulwich sewers specifically?

Of course we are all familiar with the example of the Auckland Harbour Bridge which in 1968 needed to be reconstructed less than 10 years after having been put up, due to the original design failing to adequately anticipate subsequent robust demand. But I was under the impression that this was an anomaly, and in the UK in particular engineers had a good record of designing and building with the future in mind. Having written that, I realise the subway network here might be offered as a counter example, but then the extreme depths there make it a less comparable case to a low depth sewage network.

On frequent floods in the area, do you have data on this? I'm not saying this isn't the case, I just haven't noticed the phenomenon myself, although have heard about the one particularly large flood in Herne Hill a few years back.

Henry

There was a large burst water main flood towards Dulwich Village a few years ago. Around 2006 there was a case of at least one street flooding so badly that multiple cellars were awash. There are others but cannot recall details.

I very much doubt that Victorian engineers had any idea of how the population might explode in the future nor that every family would have sometimes multiple bathroom, washing machines and so on.