Thoughts on buying in the Dog Kennel Hill estate...

tigerlily

My husband and I are thinking about buying in the Dog Kennel Hill estate and I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it?

Is it safe?

Anyone had any trouble around there?

What's the split in council/private?

What are bills like for the improvements?

We live around the corner, but we've never lived on an estate so just looking for thoughts!

It's pretty quiet and pleasant enough as far as i can tell.

I used to frequent the (dear departed) pub round the corner and I always used to take my kids to the albright centre for health visits and to the group activities. was always a delight.

Have taken it as a short cut to Peckham many a time even at night and never felt any concern.

How could it be if it is a council estate?

You wouldn't/couldn't find out the truth as the politicians keep it from the masses to promulgate the theory of improved/decent estates.

Does it matter, if there are council tenants it's a bad investment.

The bills could be anything as you would have to pay the council tenants (layabouts) share.

I have a friend who lives there and have visited often including coming and leaving late in the evening and always felt safe. As council estates go I think it's rather good as it's not huge, green and open, and from everywhere you're pretty swiftly on the main road. As you live round the corner you probably have a feel for it already. I think it depends very much on the individual flat and the direct neighbours, other parties in the block and above/below flats. I'd visit as often as you can and at different times and try and get a better feel for it. You could also just knock on a few neighbours' door and try and have a chat.

When we moved to the area in 99 the house next door to the one we were interested in looked run down, dark and not exactly a very friendly and welcoming place. I knocked and met a lovely though very elderly couple who had just grown to frail to keep up the house. It made a big difference to me moving in and knowing who'd be next door. A few years later, when they had passed away, I had a knock on the door from a prospective buyer who wanted to know a little bit more about the street and that family have now been my neighbours since then. Of course that only applies if you are actually planning to live there, not just letting it.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do. Dagmar

I don;t think the estate is a problem, but the deal breaker could be the bills you are presented with for works to the buildings. It seems to be an open cheque to southwark (or their contractors) there is quite a lengthy thread on here about it. I think the main problem is that normal people are presented with rather hefty bills for minor stuff.

best of luck.

I agree with some of the above. I live in an ex-coucil flat - it is really spacious for the cost and my block is small and friendly with no trouble from any tennants - council or owners. In my experience (and it is just my experience) neighbours can be tricky whether they own or rent.

I would advise doing a lot of research into what major works have happened and whether the roof/windows/communal areas have recently been upgraded. We are facing a bill of between ?25,000 - ?33,000 for major works EACH from Lewisham council at present.

A new law called florries law is due to come in that will cap major works but it is a risk and cost of buying ex-council.

I live on the DKH estate(bought about 2 years ago). I've met all the neighbours on my floor and they are all pleasant and friendly. I'm constantly getting invites to resident meetings and schedules of all the activities on offer at the community centre.

You will get a lot of space for the money too.

The downside is having to deal with Southwark council - It took 6 months and eventually a letter to the manager for the council to set up my service charge account. I regularly receive demanding letters stating that I am outstanding in my payments - despite arranging to pay by standing order over 12 months.

Be aware that they council have done and plan to undertake some 'major' capital works on the estate including sorting out the collapsing retaining walls along side dog kennel hill, some redesigning and landscaping of the car parking areas. I have queried whether, as a leaseholder, I will be expected to pay for any of these works. The answer was yes - but only a proportion of the works that are not deemed necessary for health & safety.

All in all - it was a good buy and I enjoy living here.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in DKH, as a tenant in a privately owned flat with the landlady. She was stuck with the flat and was unable to sell due to nightmare noisy and slightly unhinged (can't think of a better way to put it) council tenants, and as the council have a duty of care for their tenants it's a losing battle. She was also told by a few estate agents that as so many flats are still council owned to see your investment reap the rewards you would need to be there over 20+ years until the whole estate was regenerated and became privately owned.

Overall i did feel safe in the estate, most people just going about their daily business, but it was noisy with kids in the evenings/ summer playing footie in the car park, there were some unsavoury characters dealing at night very obviously from certain flats, the noise between flats - up/down and either side is really loud, and like many have mentioned the service charges are ridiculous if you own the flat.

I left and bought a flat, all be it one where the council is a freeholder and I can honestly say I will never ever buy a flat again where Southwark is the freeholder. I am in the midst of footing a large bill for unnecessary major works, which i'm told even by the contractors themselves won't be done to a good job, yet i'm paying for it all with no choice! This is a frequent occurrence and every year my service charge exceeds the estimate in its hundreds. Southwark are an absolute nightmare to deal with, its always a battle and you invariably lose.

If I were buying again I would steer well clear of council owned properties...just my two cents.

Estate agents would say that though, wouldn't they? i.e. that as so many flats are still council owned to see your investment reap the rewards you would need to be there over 20+ years until the whole estate was regenerated and privately owned.

Probably all the flats were council owned up until 20+ years ago but times have changed and people have bought their flats. Also, flats that have become vacant in the meantime have been sold off by Southwark Council over the past few years as seen by the big billboards up outside the estate during the past year or so.

I used to live in Harfield Gardens (a small council estate off of Camberwell Grove). Great flat, great neighbours but Southwark Council = nightmare from hell as a landlord. I lived there for 6 years and was hit with two massive bills during that period 1) for major works - replacement windows/new roof/door entry system etc and 2) for a new heating system. Problem is, the Council are obliged to maintain their estates to a certain standard which means doing some sort of works/refurbishments pretty regularly. As a private tenant of a Council owned block you are bound by contract to contribute towards these bills whether you want the work to be carried out or not (we all know how the Council like to spend money on pointless things in the lead up to year end to ensure they get decent budgets for the following year). In my personal experience I am convinced that Private tenants ultimately end up partially subsidising the Council tenants, it's the only way to explain the size of the bills I received versus the works being done. I would avoid like the plague!

I'm currently renting a privately owned flat where Southwark are the freeholder. In the year I've been there they have installed a ridiculously over the top smoke detection system (despite the old one working fine), and re-done all the window frames (which were old but also fine).

The smoke alarms in particular - was 4 guys for a full day installing and rewiring, I hate to think how much that would have cost the owner!