What's happening at the Elm Lodge surgery?

Sol

I have been unable to get an app. In the last two days; by 8.15am they are fully booked; there are 3 doctors there. I Went there on Wednesday to see the nurse and it was empty; how can they be fully booked? It used to be a very good surgery and I was very proud of it; never had a problem in the past; is this some sort of strike because of NHS Cuts? They want to send me to Peckham; according to the lady in reception all the surgeries in London are fully booked today??????? Is people getting app online? What do I have to make so much NHS contributions if I can't see a doctor when my child is sick?

Have anybody has similar experiences lately with them? I just find it unbelievable that within 15min all the appointments for 3 doctors were booked for the full day or maybe there is some sort of advance booking I am not aware of. I was always happy with this surgery so am a bit disappointed as it is 2 days in a row and I started calling at 8am. Yesterday was understandable as the surgery closes at 1pm and maybe some doctors take the day off.

As part of the revamp of the Peckham walk-in centre, your local GP surgery can refer you to Peckham for a same day appointment if there's no appointments at your surgery.

I doubt the claim about no appointments at any surgery is rubbish. Cancellations and emergency slots can be found, but it's down to poor admin at the end of the day. DMC for example.

Sol Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it is not nice when you have to go to

> A&E as they make you wait 3 to 4 hours; hope your

> little one is better now.

Having previously worked in A&E, can I reasdure you that no one is ever "made" to wait 3-4hrs, yes there's can sometimes be a wait, but due to the amount of patients - the staff's aim is always to get everyone seen & dealt with asap.

I understand your reluctance to travel far with poorly child, maybe if they'd offered appropriate advice on pain relief, a short drive to the Lister wouldn't have seemed as bad. Would suggest contacting the practice manager and checking if they have a patient advocacy and liaison service to access and share your grievance with.

Thank you; good idea about contacting the practice Manager. Regarding A & E I have been 3 times in Kings Hospital and they check your child when you first arrive if it is a matter of dead of life you can see the doctor pretty quickly other things like ear infections; tonsilities; etc they make you wait 3 hours to see a Doctor; same thing in S. Thomas Hospital.

Sol, I think Buggie is trying to highlight the inappropriate use of your term "they make you wait'. The staff in A&E don't 'make you' do anything. After triaging (prioritising) you can chose to wait until a doctor is free to see you (which might be 10 mins, or indeed 3-4hours), or you can chose to try elsewhere. Either way it is your decision, and no-one 'makes' you' wait. A&E staff get enough flack for little recompense, I think it's important to be mindful of not using emotive language when describing your view of their care.

I'm with Elm Lodge too and very sorry to hear of your trials with them recently. Their system has always worked exceptionally well. I hope they haven't changed it for the worse?

It's very hard lately to get an appointment at my GPs too and there are more than 3, so you're not alone. It's quite worrying really.

I was 10th in line on the phone the other morning as you have to phone the day you want to be seen. I was trying to get a routine appointment for my son but didn't in the end and as that was the only day which was suitable, you just leave it.

Seldoc are out of hours too at Dulwich Hospital and in the Summer I had to phone them Sunday morning, about a problem I had, but couldn't be seen until the evening. My problem wasn't picked up on and I ended up taking myself to A&E the next morning, where they were very good and I was admitted for four days.

Last Thursday evening my sister had to phone an ambulance for my Dad, who's 86 and has Alzheimers. She was told that as he was still breathing it would be a 2 hour wait. In that 2 hours we managed to make our Dad comfortable, although it was a very worrying time and phoned to cancel the ambulance.

What a mess. At another, hitherto excellent surgery the advice is to book two weeks ahead. However, when, as for many, there is no crystal ball with which to predict acute episodes of illness it seems one must first ring to make an appt to speak to a Doctor, having spoken to the Doctor there is every chance you will then be referred on to the Lister Centre. The local Doctor's surgery has become a kind of medical call centre with Doctor's making decisions on the 'phone (what a waste of all that training). This whole process can take 2-3 hours, no wonder many will give up and simply go to A&E.

Something is desperately wrong with the health service and the way it is being re-modelled. Aside from the likes of Concordia (who, in former years, with city boys at the helm, chose to pilot this brave new face of healthcare)many local surgeries were offering a decent, reliable service. What has gone wrong in the last 4 years?

I have always found Elm Lodge to be excellent. When my child had a bad accident recently on the way to school I walked her straight round to Elm Lodge who bandaged the wound immediately and told me to come back if the bleeding didn't stop, they also made an appointment for a review the next day. When I returned the same day my child saw both the nurse and doctor immediately, was assessed again and a referral made to A and E for further treatment. When my child really needed help and treatment it was immediate and given with real care and compassion.