Air gun shooting on Underhill Road!

A warning and a call out to others who may have been unfortunate to experience this. On two occasions this week (Tuesday and Thursday) I have been shot as I walk along Underhill Road by The old cemetery. Both incidents occurred at about 07:25 and both times I was hit in the back of the head. On both occasions a white transit van was driving passed that proceeds down Underhill Road.

The first time I thought the van may have kicked up a stone and thought no more of it, when it happened again I was in no doubt that I had been targeted by something that was quite accurate, hence an air pistol, but I may be wrong. Whatever it was it hurts and it could do some real damage if it hit you elsewhere. Regrettably I didn't take the time to try and find the projectiles, nor did I get the registration number of the van. It is possible that the shot was not taken from the van.

It's doubtful I'm the only target and it would be interesting to know if anyone else has had the same experience.

The police have been notified and statements are due to be taken. I encourage you to do the same if you have experienced or witnessed something similar.

Apologies to those living in the vicinity who will have heard a choice word or two shouted by me on Thursday morning.

UB

I experienced something similar about a year ago (or longer can't remember!) at about the same time of day (early morning)

I was struck by something as I walked on Underhill Rd as I approached the junction of Barry Road. I felt something hit the back of my head as a white van drove past. I shouted abuse at the van as it continued to drive off but they didn't stop. I don't think it was an air gun I think it was a small stone thrown from the window.

Pretty nasty & dangerous thing to do really. If it's the same people hope they get caught soon.

A similar thing happened to me in Peckham high street in broad daylight about 4 years ago. I too assumed it was a stone until a noticed the yellow plastic pellet rolling across the floor next to me. I never reported it, but actually should of. I was with my baby in a pram and consequences could of been different. As a teenager I was shot in the face, close range with a BB gun and still have a scar by my eye, it was literally millimetres away from being a different story.

I was hit by a projectile from a white van in July 09, in Underhill Road. I was cycling just past Henslowe Road. It was quite a blow, but I was going slowly, and I was able to stop and keep my balance. The van hardly paused to cross Friern Road, and speeded away. I was to get the number and wrote it down. Then I looked around and found a lump of ice, on the road, such as from a drink, which I assume was tossed out of the passenger window. If the van was going at say 20mph even if it was not deliberately thrown forwards, the projectile would be moving forward at 20mph.

I reported it to the police, got a swift response from our community policeman. Photographs were taken of the lump and cut behind my ear, and the owner of the van was interviewed. I opted not to pursue the matter because they might find out where I live.

Yes, and hard to prove deliberate intent by an unidentifiable passenger, who might have carelessly emptied the unwanted remains of a drink out of the window. In my case, I believe that the speed of the vehicle provided enough momentum for a lump of ice to cause my injury. I don't think many people shoot guns out of vehicles, but I think loads of people casually toss the remains of their lunch. I think it is that common that I don't assume I was a target, I just happened to be in the way.

MarkT

I wish my eyesight was as keen as yours MarkT and I had got the registration number. I'm now aware of another similar incident that took place on LL on Wednesday that may or may not be connected. The police have now taken the details of my incident and advise they will link up other information they receive, so please come forward if you have been affected by this.

Any action that leads to a credible deterrent to stop this will be a good thing.

Hi MarkT, and other more recent victims.

It sounds remarkably similar set of accounts.

MarkT, Can you please email me privately with when the incident your experienced happen. Others please report your incidents and share the police reference numbers. I'll help the Police collate these to ensure they act. With a known white van from the past and new more recent incidents their is enough for the Police to investigate.

Exactly the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago!

I crossed the road in front of a white transit van as it was approaching the junction of Darrell and Underhill Road and, as it passed, something whizzed past my shoulder, leaving some white residue on my coat. It was going quickly, so I presumed it was a stone kicked up from under the van's tyre.

I looked over at the van and there were three unconcerned-looking chaps sitting in the front seats, but I was left wondering if they had thrown something at me.

I will report this to the police using the crime reference number posted above but, UncleBulgaria and James Barber, if you could post a police phone number to call that would be helpful!

Hi Bunk Wallave,

Call the Police non emergency number 101 to report it.

Once you have the crime reference number please email it to me and I'll chase with our local police.

We now have the crime details from 2009 when a van reg. no. was recorded. So the Police hopefully can cross reference either the van still in use or the owner of a newer white van.

Hi

I was hit in the back of the neck by a white projectile as I was jogging up Lordship Lane (opposite Townley Road) on Weds 26th in the morning. It surprised me as it was very painful and moving too quickly to be thrown. I had to stop running for a while as it made me feel a little sick. I didn't notice any van however but I wasn't really looking. Is this worth reporting?

Thanks

I have had this happen to me as well - some months ago and I also could not see who had done it. It hit my on the neck and it hurt! I was at the corner of Underhill by the cemetery. It was too long ago to report to the police (nor can I remember exact details). I shall report it if it happens again though.

How odd. Something similar happened to me last year at the junction of Townley and lordship lane but I was in my car and it smashed the back passenger window, totally took it out. Really shook me up as my daughter was in her car seat next to the window and it fell in on her. I had to pull over - there was a white van with 3 guys who looked like they were clearing/blowing leaves in the area outside the doctors surgery.