South London 1963

JOHNNYBOY

Thank you so much for that JOHNNYBOY..

I was 11 at the time and can remember virtually everything in those two clips.

Even St Luke's Church. I'm pretty certain that was Father Williams outside who was also

associated with St. Lukes & Camden Primary school which I attended until 1964..

DulwichFox

Great footage and memories come flooding back. The post-modernism the commentator so favourably commends over the Victorian and sometimes older buildings, seems bizarre now. In less than half a century those very concepts have been all but rubbished and we see a return to the conservation and re-modelling of town planning based on the more Victorian ideals. I remember as a child whole communities being torn out of inner- London and sent off to help populate new towns, taking the very soul out of inner london with huge tower blocks most of which are now thankfully gone. You can never undo the damage of the past, but good to see they've learnt a lot in those years since.

Louisa.

At what point did I suggest house prices caused New Towns? What an odd statement. My initial point was that mass density housing and new towns were a consequence of poor post-war decisions made by planners and architects. They adopted post-modernism as the answer to all our inner city problems. It's since been learnt that neighbourhoods work better when communities cluster in low-density housing projects in the communities they evolved from. Forcing people out to live in new towns rather than converting and renovating the Victorian housing stock and thus seperating the community was a bad move.

Louisa.

Trouble is grace3, london neighborhoods are only "nice" once they've been gentrified and cleared of the 'riff raff'. Then they miraculously become "nice". Who are we as long standing residents to have any say on how lovely it was before gentrification? We've only lived here since day one! :)

Louisa.